We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

Hi all. Staying in Dubai 1day/night only in June. Never been before & have no idea where to stay!! Have looked at various reviews, still confused! Want to see the Buri Khalifa, Dubai Fountains, Dubai Mall. Dubai Creek Hop on hop off bus a good idea??Use monorail?? Also can we go on a river boat to see the Palms development. So saying all that, what area does anyone suggest a hotel?? Have no idea. At nightime we wont have time to see the Arabian desert, so will just wander around have a meal & a few drinks where we can. So any input on what area to stay would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

I always suggest the Downtown Dubai area for people who are not bothered about being near the beach. You have Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall and the Dubai Fountain right on your doorstep along with tons of restaurants, cafes, shisha places and some bars. It's also only 20 minutes from the airport.

Hotels in this area are: Qamardeen, Al Manzil, Al Murooj Rotana. There are other hotels but these are the most inexpensive ones (though still of a high standard) and as you are only here for such a short time and will be out most of the time I'm assuming you don't want to spend a lot on a hotel?

I would suggest ditching the idea to see the Palm as it's at the other end of town. Also, I'd forgo the Big Bus and do your own thing. The fountains are best seen after dark so you could spend your evening in the Downtown area where lots of restaurants have fountain/Burj Khalifa views.

In the daytime I'd head for Dubai Creek and the souks - be sure to take an abra (water taxi) across the Creek. As your time is so limited the best way to get around is by taking taxis. There are plenty of them around and they are cheap.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
41 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

For 1 day and 1 night, I am sure that you do not want to spend money on grand hotels. You may book yourself in Deira avoiding beach side of Dubai. There are plenty of hotels at reasonable price with good standards. Since time is too short, you may avoid Big bus tour and travel by taxis which are not expensive and metered. Please buy Burj Khalifa (At the top) ticket online for some late afternoon time (as it is much cheaper and save you from long queue). Entry of same is through Dubai mall so you can see fountains in the evening as well. In the morning you can go to Jumeriah side and see new developments followed by either Museum or creek (do a small 1 hour cruise there plenty available) followed by At the Top, Dubai mall and fountains.

Hope this would suit you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your advice. It has made places and areas so much clearer to me now & I have a very good idea on what to do in Dubai in such a short time. Thats great, thanks.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

I have a similar question, but I'm looking for cheap hotels for our student son. Can you suggest student priced hotels in the downtown area? Above backpacker standard as he has his girl friend with him. They have 3 or 4 nights in Dubai as a stopover, and want to have a bit of R&R, and see a few sites.

I've got the job of sorting this out as he is in rural Uganda with no internet coverage......

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

You don't say when you are coming here. Please let us know as that can make a difference.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
41 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

There are plenty of choices in Dubai right from best priced to luxury in Downtown area typically Bur Dubai or near Deira. You may browse through http://www.hotels.com/ and check reviews there or in www.tripadvisors.com.

Do look for traveller's review as price would not be only criteria as some places may be noisy due to clubs etc etc.....

Melbourne
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

HI Kanga

you pretty much took the words out of my mouth with your post...my sister and i will be in the same boat mid may with a stop over on our way to Egypt... so your question and the replies have been very helpful for us..

thanks..

i am really excited about seeing Dubai even if it is for only a short time..

laurel

Queensland...
Level Contributor
133 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I should have said, my son will be there 3 nights in early Feb. Weather looks very pleasant, so I guess this is a peak holiday time in Dubai.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

It is peak time for holidays here, winter sun and all that. To be honest, there aren't any budget hotels in Downtown so I suggest you look at Holiday Inn Express, Novotel, Ibis, CityMax to begin with. Have a look at hotels and self catering apartments in Bur Dubai. Pick a few, check availability and ask us what we think of them. I know CityMax Bur Dubai is coming in at around AED 350 plus 20% at the moment and that's of the more reasonably priced. The price would be for a room, not per person but they may charge a little extra for double occupancy, not sure....

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
41 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No idea on what area to stay in Dubai!!. Any suggestions?

why don't you try http://www.hotels.com/ and check for the reviews on tripadvisor. Place like Dubai would never be full - neither for luxury and nor for budget hotels....we have stayed at peak in Dec-11 and there were plenty of options.....