We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Are the shopping malls in Dubai very good and are the price differences much different to UK?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
493 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Hi there, more often then not, clothes will be cheaper in the UK.

Shopping in Dubai is not very cheap in general. You may get lucky with the odd item, but not overall.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,039 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Clothes are cheaper in the UK though there's lots more choice in Dubai.

Cosmetics are much more expensive.

Sterling rate is poor agains the dirham.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 22:14
Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Hi

i think it's fair to point out that fashions are more aimed towards Arab tastes than UK and generally dearer without the exchange rate making things worse

Regards

Doug

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,727 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

I disagree with KentDougal that fashions are more aimed at Arab tastes. Dubai has many many store chains that you'd find on a UK high street selling the same clothes you'd find in the UK - from designer to Jane Norman, Top Shop, M&S, H&M etc.

Clothes are more expensive in Dubai, especially with the poor exchange rate at the moment.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Not all clothes are more expensive in Dubai and the range is also different. My girls still but in Forever21 in Dubai because they have more selection and are slightly cheaper. American Eagle has good deals and again clothes you cannot get in the UK.

If you want clothes that are avaialble in the UK and in Dubai then Dubai will be more expensive on the whole but then why waste time shopping in Dubai if you could get the stuff at home.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Hi Kali

I know they have all the same stores as the UK and just about every country in the world these days but our female friends that live there ask us to get them underwear from M&S because they have difficulty getting the same styles in Dubai. I'm not an authority on feminine clothes though

Regards

Doug

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,727 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Doug, that's probably because the range of lingerie on offer at M&S here is smaller, not because it caters to Arab tastes (though M&S is one store that I can think of which does carry clothes which I believe are specifically aimed at Muslim ladies).

But I suspect you don't spend your holidays in Dubai hanging out in the M&S lingerie department :)

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Hi Kali

Well - not all the time prefer Ann Summers really. I will be coming over late Feb/early Mar so I'll have to check then if I get time between watching the tennis and the racing will be staying in Al Ain en route to the Maldives

Regards

Doug

scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

shop in the UK.

Much more expensive in Dubai & the range of clothes in the Dubai stores is limited (even last seasons/years styles/colours etc were for sale but not discounted). i.e Next/M&S/H&M/Hollister/Zara/Ted Baker etc etc to name a few

Dubai also has a good range of stores that we don't have direct access to here other than online, so unable to comment on the 'high end' stores.

exchange rate was not great at the time either.

In saying that, my husband loves "GANT" clothes and they were cheaper in Dubai than UK (even with an exch rate of 5.4 dhrs/£) not by a huge amount but enough to make it worthwhile purchasing them in Dubai.

good luck.....

Benissa, Spain
Level Contributor
67 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are clothes cheaper to buy in Dubai than in the UK?

Don't bank on bargains. If you stay out of the mall then you have a better chance. Mall is Spain prices which is more than UK. BUT we bought Reebok trainers for my son (I hope they aren't fakes!) for a third less than they would be in Spain for sure but in a normal street and discounted. The Dubai Mall is amazing for the fact that every shop is in one place though, plus all the other stuff that is there like Burj Khalifa, aquarium, dancing fountains...