We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code in Dubai

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Dress Code in Dubai

We are visiting Dubai for 2 weeks in Feb and are so excited. However reading all these posts about dress codes - a little confused... some say its really strict cover up shoulders and knees??? Can someone that has recently been please let me know? Are we ok with wearing short/shorts and singlets as we do back home ok? I see that some people have said that we will get frowned upon and thats it? Covering up is not appealing when its 35 degress. I understand the culture and totally respect.. Just want to go prepared.

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

it's a bag of mixed nuts.

In the past few days, I've seen people wearing from something to almost nothing.

Tourists really wear whatever they like here, nobody really cares but i sometimes get a feeling that locals are uncomfortable around us, Especially with ladies wearing really skimpy clothes. (Seriously, I've told them that Dubai isn't technically California, but they don't listen to me).

At-least being a guy isn't all that bad...wearing t-shirt + shorts are very acceptable around the urban areas - especially if it's 35c.

My personal advice is to respect the surroundings, 'dress appropriately' / that does mean to completely cover up. I hope you get the picture, keep a pair of jeans < it can do wonders if somehow you feel out of place.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

Please read this post

tripadvisor.co.uk/…20096247

and watch this video

www.youtube.com/watch…

Tourists that know no better wear what they like and behave as they would at home. Then there are those that realise they are not at home and dress to respect the culture - it's not difficult, especially as you've asked about it and can watch the video and read the posts.

So if you do understand the culture and totally respect it then you will be prepared.

Or you can say you understand the culture and totally respect it but choose to ignore it - that's your decision to make.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

I've never read anybody on this board saying Dubai is really strict because it's not.

Yes, you can wear what you'd wear at home but will you be respecting the local culture? quite possibly no. Do you care about offending the Emiratis, the nationals of a country you are a guest in? that's your decision.

You don't have to be covered up totally to be respectful.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

I am fully with the respect brigade but even Dubai TV gives out confusing messages. Some of the female (non Emarati) presenters on Dubai One wear really "scanty" clothing. I was watching last week a female presenter with a guest chef cooking up some recipe and she looked like she had just come in from a nightclub!!!!

Edited: 25 January 2012, 04:18
California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

@swrxp47 I've apparently met that Dubai One girl you're talk about along with the guy who looks like Hugh Grant. - Like i said Dubai really is a bag of mixed nuts. ;)

Funny but true.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

Benii...he thinks he IS Hugh Grant !!!

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

Lol ~ for reals? He would do great for that E! Show 'Look alike'.

I myself thought he was Hugh Grant until notice his white hair.

Benissa, Spain
Level Contributor
67 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

If you are at the beach I'm sure its fine to wear what you like, definately NO TOPLESS. If you are wondering the city I think you should respect the local culture and you will certainly be standing side by side with full burkas so would you feel comfortable underdressed? But plenty of tourists and ex-pats wear what they like and 'get away with it'.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. We definitley do not want to disrespect anyone as we are guests in Dubai, would rather respect the locals. This gives us a fair idea of what to pack and what not to pack. So excited. Any idea what the weather will be like next month? going up to 35 degress or will it be cooler?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress Code in Dubai

Also back home - we do not wear next to nothing.. just a singlet and shorts is what i would refer to as every day wear in summer. I wouldnt dear to wear next to nothing here an new zealand.. we would be classed as prostitutes but we wouldnt be offending anyone guess thats the difference.