We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai v Doha?

Manchester
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai v Doha?

We are flying to Osaka, Japan from Manchester in Oct/Nov 2012 and looking for a stopover for up to a week either on the way there or on the way back. As a complete UAE novice, which should I go for? I have never fancied visiting UAE at all to be honest (worried about Doha/Dubai being huge, dusty construction sites with little history and few cutural attractions), it's just that I just can't face such a long trip to Japan again without a break.

We normally like staying in European resorts with a bit of history/old architecture, nice beach, good food, 4* hotel, somewhere where you can stroll around in the day/evening or just sunbathe all day.

So, Doha or Dubai ? And any hotel recommendations? Thanks.

Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,735 reviews
from US$80.89*
US$89.87
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
225 reviews
from US$48.00*
Burj Khalifa Level 124 'At the Top...
1,417 reviews
from US$38.10*
Helicopter Flight in Dubai
198 reviews
from US$231.08*
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,996 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai v Doha?

Dubai wins out of the two. No question about it. I wouldn't even consider Doha.

The hotels in Dubai in comparison to Europe are sooo much better.

Dubai is a wonderful place to visit offering such an assortment of things to see and do. Sunshine by the bucket full in the summer and even Autumn when you are planning to visit is a good temperature.

Offer me Dubai against Europe and Dubai wins. I wouldn't even have to think about it.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai v Doha?

No question about it for a stopover of upto a week Dubai, so much more to do and there is a lot of history as well as history in the making. You only have to read some of the postings to see what is possible.

Dates to be aware in October/ November are Eid , the British half Term and the Abu Dhabi F1 , although the latter does not have much affect on Dubai prices.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,806 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai v Doha?

I'd give Doha a miss, I don't think there's enough to do for a week and in all honesty if you don't like dubai then i think you'll like doha even less.

Dubai is a love or hate kind of place, no it's not as cultural as Europe and yes there is construction and dust but it also has a lot ot offer and I think there is enough to keep you busy for a week. You only have to try it once, if you don't like it don't go back.

It does offer luxury hotels with great beaches. If you like to Stroll then perhaps look at a hotel near Jumeirah Walk. You mention good 4* hotels but unfortunately the hotels with private beach facilities tend to be 5* Look at LRM if it's pricey then perhaps hilton might be cheaper.

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai v Doha?

Doha?. I hear the government there wants to ban alcohol, things are going backwards. Wonder why someone thought hosting World Cup there would be a good idea especially when considering the horrible weather. I wouldn't recommend it.

Dubai might not have much history on display, but whatever it is - it's very well preserved and on showcase for tourists. (Old) Dubai is where you'll find historical Emirati monuments, museums, art galleries. Bur Dubai / Deira are quite interesting areas that you'll love, while Dubai can't be compared to Egypt or Turkey... I'm sure your trip to this city will be an unforgettable one.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai v Doha?

The Pearl Doha is arguably the finest tourist destination in the middle-east (excluding things like Petra and Pyramids).

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai v Doha?

Clackers, you left out one word in your post - dry. Have you been to Qatar? I somehow don't think so.

Denmark
Level Contributor
19 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai v Doha?

I will also go for Dubai. Have visited Doha 4 times, and it is not that much to do for a week. And there are not that many beach resorts, you have to go to the resorts and pay resort fee to get access to a beach. I like Doha, but I prefer Dubai for a vacation.

I have just got back after 5 days in Dubai, and it is so much more to see and do.

Manchester
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai v Doha?

Forgive my ignorance, Hannah, but what is LRM?

Manchester
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai v Doha?

Thanks.Can you recommend any hotels in Old Dubai, Bur Dubai and Deira? Are all these areas within walking distance of one another? I have got no idea how big Dubai is in comparison to, say, Paris or London.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,763 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai v Doha?

@ ManchesterJApanGirl; LRM is Le Royal Meridien beach resort in Dubai.

http://www.leroyalmeridien-dubai.com/