We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 hrs before?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
2 or 3 hrs before?

Flying with Virgin from Heathrow. Virgins website say check in 2 hrs before, Heathrow airport say 3 hrs! What would you frequent visitors suggest? We go on a Friday pm at 22.00 hrs only few weeks and can't wait!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,464 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 hrs before?

I always allow 3 hours for check in for long haul. I need to know I'm there in plenty of time also allowing for traffic queues. My brain doesn't chill out until I'm at the airport. Once I'm there no mention of work is allowed!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 hrs before?

I never arrive at the airport more than two hours in advance because I don't like hanging around airports. Usually I aim for 90 minutes but with Heathrow I now do 2 hours because I've spent ages in security queues in the past. (This is flying economy btw.)

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 or 3 hrs before?

Conflict of interest at work here, if Virgin say 2 hours for the flight then they believe 2 hours is all that is required so I presume they will rebook if you miss the flight. Heathrow makes money from the sales at the airport and not from all the flights, therefore they will do anything to get the potential clients at the airport earlier than necessary in the hope that they will spend more money in the stores .

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 or 3 hrs before?

Good point, Blighty, I've never thought of it like that.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 or 3 hrs before?

Hi Graham

The problem with LHR is not how long the check in and formalities take it's the M25 and the uncertainty of just how long it will take you to get there.I live in Folkestone and you really have no idea how long it will take to get to LHR one accident on M25 can delay you for a couple of hours on the other hand if all goes well you there with hours to spare

Regards

Doug

West Sussex
Level Contributor
418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 or 3 hrs before?

If your there when check in opens ( 3 hours before) then in the event the flight is overbooked you are at least on the flight. It is not that uncommon for a flight to be overbooked and it has happened to me a few times. Also, you are more likely to get the seat you want.

7. Re: 2 or 3 hrs before?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:37