We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency for Dubai

Pewsey, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Currency for Dubai

Going on our first trip to Dubai soon and want to take a pre-paid card for our spending money, are we best to buy in sterling or US Dollar, will the card be readily accepted, only for shopping and activities as we are all inclusive?

Many thanks

C & L Wilson

60 replies to this topic
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,052 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency for Dubai

You are best having dirham the local currency.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency for Dubai

Not sure of your question. If you are buying a prepaid spending card then it is likely to be a Visa or Mastercard in which case there is no problem in it being accepted where crdit cards are accepted. the currency you load the card with is irrelevant the credit card companies will convert.

If you are buying currency to spend locally then you can convert here easily sterling or dollars for the dirham at the currency exchnge. You cam also use the dollar widely here as we are pegged to the dollar at 3.67 AED to the US $

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency for Dubai

Convert sterling to dirhams. There's no point in converting twice. Use your ATM and credit cards.

Wimbledon
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency for Dubai

I am going to Abu Dhabi, will the rate for AED be better in the UK or should I wait till I get out there, before changing my money

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
493 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency for Dubai

wait until you are out there as you are more likely (but not always guaranteed) to get a better rate

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency for Dubai

Can I exchange south african rands into dirhams in dubai and wats the exchange rate and where can I do so

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,077 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency for Dubai

There is a currency exchange at the airport for immediate currency exchange. The ones in the malls do tend to offer a slightly better rate though.

Scottish Western...
Level Contributor
80 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency for Dubai

Is it better to take $US's or UK£'s with us to convert into dirhams.

We are arriving from the UK bringing cash to convert.

If we take US$ with us it means we will have to convert our money twice but maybe this is the best option.

Advice please

Thank you

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Currency for Dubai

Not sure why you would want to change your money twice. Just bring sterling but to ensure you get the best rate at the exchange house please bring ENGLISH money and not those funny Scottish notes as not all exchange houses will take them and those that do have been known to give a different rate.

Please do not take the post as anti Scottish but rather as practical advice. If you search this forum you will find plenty of discussion on Sterling and the scottich banknotes

Enjoy your trip

scotland
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Currency for Dubai

Thanks for the tip we are spending two weeks in Dubai first two weeks in July. Will mainly use cash machines and convert our Scottish notes into English bank notes prior to flying out .

Reply to: Currency for Dubai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted