We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Hello Everyone

We will be staying at the Ras Al Khaimah Resort and Spa at the end of Oct 12 for 5 nights. This is our first trip to the UAE and we are keen to fit in as much as possible. The hotel looks lovely but now I am concerned due to it being 1.5 hrs journey from Dubai that we may be too far away!

I read in a review that we can hire a taxi for 10hrs for £150 which seems reasonable and I'm thinking we could visit Dubai and maybe have afternoon tea at the Burj during the time.

Does anyone have any idea of how much a taxi would cost from our hotel to the Atlantic or any suggestions re: the cheapest option of getting to experience the most during our stay.

Changing hotels is NOT an option but for future reference maybe I did not choose the best location.. although we got a great deal with Virgin!

Any advice is appreciated.. what else should we definitely not miss during our 5 days?

2 female friends travelling - mid 30's!

Many thanks

Helen

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

The hotel does provide a free shuttle bus to Dubai. You could get off at a mall and then get a cab to Atlantis. I think buses run about 3 times per week leaving about 8am and returning about 4, that is just a generalisation though you would need to check with your hotel. If you found you didnt have enough time maybe, use the shuttle there and get a cab back .

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Thanks Amanda great idea. They did mention a twice weekly shuttle. I will check with hotels if they are on set days.

Do you know if it is easy to get taxi's in public places and whether they have stands etc. And also if it's safe to just jump in cab?

Thanks,

Helen

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Hi Helen, taxi are safe , metered and plenty full, look for cars with coloured roofs, so you know they are public taxis as opposed to hotel cars which charge far more. There are taxi ranks at the Malls which are well sign posted. The hotels normally provide you with a list of times and stops re the shuttle bus. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 12:05
UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Many thanks Amanda.

regards,

Helen

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,512 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

What is it with travel agents (especially Virgin) selling Ras al Kaimah as Dubai - it really gets my goat !

It's the equivalent of selling a holiday in Wrexham to someone that wants to be in Birmingham. i.e. not just different places but different countries too.

Anyhow rant over I would use the shuttle to get to Dubai and cab it back (cream cabs with coloured roofs) - single fare is around 180 dirham and safe to hail on the street or from ranks and hotels.

You would definitely need to do this if you want to do afternoon tea at the Burj as the shuttle back will leave too early for you to enjoy it.

Why do you want to go to Atlantis ? If it's for the water park then you could also consider Wild Wadi as it's not as far out from the shuttle drop point which will be in Dubai centre.

If it isn't for the water park then I really wouldn't bother going because all you can see unless you're going there for a meal is the lobby.

Insetad I would head for Dubai Mall and the Burj Khalifa area and make sure you catch an eveing fountain show on the lake.

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Many thanks Latimer.

In all honesty I can't solely blame Virgin on this one. The plan was to go to Dubai, sand, sea & luxury and in the brochure we were so impressed with the hotel and the deal we got and so we booked.

I did notice it was 1.5 hrs or so from the airport but still didn't think much about it. I only took the time to read things properly afterwards and then realised it is a different city/country.

Luckily due to the taxi's being so cheap I am hoping we will get the best of both worlds with the lovely beach/hotel plus seeing some of Dubai also.

The dolphin experience is the attraction at Atlantis. I do however think we'd also like to see the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa so maybe we could do them the same day before Afternoon Tea.

We'll definitely go for the shuttle as long as it's running on the day we're there... and get cabs in Dubai and back to the hotel as it sounds like it would be cheaper than the £130 for the hire of a cab.

Many thanks for your help, it is very appreciated.

Helen

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,512 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

To see dolphins from Ras al Kaimah you be better off going on a tour in the other direction to Khasab / Mussandam in Oman and seeing them in the wild. They swim along side the boat and aren't in captivity.

The scenery is beautiful too

http://khasabtours.com/details.asp?sno=2

You could do Burj Khalifa and Dubai mall before your afternoon tea and the head back to the lakeside at Dubai Mall after your tea to watch the fountains.

I think the shuttle will get to Dubai at around 10.30- 11 am so you could book Burj Khalifa on ine for 1pm.

Book your afternoon tea for around 4pm and see the sunset from skyview bar too and then head back to the lakeside and a bit more shopping heading back to RAS at aorund 10pm

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Sounds like a fantastic plan. Thanks Latimer.

Where would you suggest we booked dessert tours?

Also any idea of the price of package you mentioned (re: dolphins) or should I contact them directly to ask?

regards,

Helen

Edited: 02 March 2012, 21:06
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,512 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Ref the dolphin tour I can't recall the price from Ras al Kaimah - it will be cheaper than it is from Dubai because you are closer and don't have to start out as early (it's a 5.30 start from Dubai) so best contact Khasab direct

I'm not too sure about whether the normal ones that get recommended on here cover Ras al Kaimah and even less sure about pick up times if they do, although someone else may know.

This post may be of interest

tripadvisor.co.uk/…37955893

Their web site is under construction but the facebook page is up.

Alternatively you could just wait until you get there and ask the hotel which one they recommend for desert tours from there

Edited: 02 March 2012, 21:16
Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costs of Taxi's... trip to the Burj & Atlantis dolphin park

Latimer..I have to agree with you. I am from Wales and would not want to send anyone to Wrexham !!!!