We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Aberdeen, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

We spent last year 2011/2012 in Dubai but were far too late in booking anything for New Years Eve

We are 3 adults and will be staying at the Towers Rotana Hotel and are looking to book somewhere for New Years eve either within walking distance as I believe traffic is horrendous where we can enjoy nice food, see the fireworks and also have some entertainment

We don't mind spending a bit as it is a special occasion for us.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Hi - we are flying to Dubai on Christmas Day returning on New Year's Day (early flight!). We are staying at the Grosvenor House. We are not great party animals and have no interest in staying up until midnight - however, we do want to eat that evening! Do you think we need to book now for dinner that evening at around 8.00 pm or will we get in without a booking that early in the evening? Any suggestions for a good, possibly steak, restaurant in the vicinity? Many thanks!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

If you want a particular restaurant I would book now and book an earlier time slot.

There are many nice restaurants in your hotel and in Le Royal Meridien the sister property over the road. I wouldn't advise going anywhere else on New Years Eve because the taffic is mad.

And your flight home on New Years Day, which you describe as 'early flight' - not sure what time that means you need to be at the airport but if it is early hours i.e. between midinght and 5am then I would advise booking an hotel car because it will be nigh on impossible to get a taxi.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Thanks for the advice re restaurants. Our return flight is at 10 am and we already have a hotel car booked to take us to the airport.- should be OK by 7.30/8.00 in the morning?

London
Level Contributor
803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Just a word of warning to many people coming to Dubai and staying at hotels; most of the top end ones insist on you eating in their restaurants over NYE and often charge in advance for this as part of your booking if you are going over that period.

I don't think people realise that distances in Dubai can be quite vast and the sheer amount of traffic that is on the streets that night. Often people just dump their cars (even on the eight lane highway) and get out to watch the fireworks as they can't get anywhere, so you might miss your reservations (happens on a regular basis) if you haven't booked near where your hotel is. And taxis at the end of a night are a right-off.

If you can walk, that is the best idea (ladies take flip-flops incase you need to walk back home at night).

All the restaurants/clubs have great nights and often bring in big DJs etc.; programmes are often posted at the end of Nov, early December and come as a package rate (e.g. 1000AED for entrance and you can the drink as much as you like). Time Out Dubai does a great round-up but often nearer the time.

To the person who wanted to go on a boat; the water gets quite choppy that time of year and is quite cool so I wouldn't recommend that. I went once and no one had a drink all night as they were feeling too seasick and everyone came back early.

Airth, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

My daughter and I and 3 grandchildren are staying at Oasis Beach Towers at New Year and would like to see the fireworks at the Burj Kalifa and wonder where the best place to book a meal. We don't need alcohol but would like a good view. Also would it be easy to get back to the hotel. We have never been to Dubai before and don't know if it is within walking distance.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

It's not close by so you will need to use the metro and be prepared for a bit of waiting around and walking to the stations - your nearest one is 10 mins walk away and the metro station for Dubai Mall is 10 mins walk from the mall.

I'd go early for dinner in one of the cafes and then be prepared to wait around to see the fireworks.

It's very safe because there are no drunk and lairy people about but there will be large very well behaved crowds

Airth, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
47. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Thanks for the information. That sounds a good idea to book early. I take it the metro runs into the early hours.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,526 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Yes it does, although they don't usually announce the specific schedule until nearer the time

Lagos, Nigeria
1 post
Save Reply
49. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

Hi,

Indeed a great forum.

Me and my husband are travelling to Dubai during the NYE. We have planned to spend the day at the Atlantis (we couldn't book a stay there as they had a condition of a minimum 1 week stay), hence we would be staying at Media Rotana. Need a suggestion which would be the best place to watch the fire works, Burj Khalifa or Al Burj Arab? And also if you could suggest a good terrace restaurant / pool side restaurant with a live band in or around that place would be a great help.

Thanks,

Nihara

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Dubai New Years Eve 2012/2013

It looks like we will be staying at the Jumeira Rotana over Christmas and we are thinking of staying for New Year. Is it possible to seethe fireworks from her, or is it within easy travelling distance? Or can you recommend anything in that area?