We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland, uk
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Hi everyone, I'm back & now up to date with the holiday washing & ironing (why is that always MY job!) so I've got time now to post my report as promised.

Thanks first of all to everyone who has answered questions on this forum - especially Latimer - the info was invaluable for our first trip to Dubai.

I'll not bore you with all the details, I'll just give you my thoughts on everything we visited as first timers.

Entertainer book - well worth the investment. We saved the price of the book on our Ski Dubai afternoon alone. Used vouchers everywhere. Saved a fortune

Arrival -Arabian Courtyard Hotel. Very nice hotel, a little dark but that's in keeping with the decor so not a big deal. Service was excellent so no complaints and would definitely recommend.

Day 1 - visit to the Burjman mall. Oh my! No offence to my neighbours but it beats The Thistle Marches in Stirling hands down!

Hubby decided he knows Dubai very well having visited many many times on Google maps so decides to take us to the creek. Lets just say if the kids and I hadn't rebelled, we'd still be walking :-)

Day 2 - Down to the hotel gym for 6.45am (what kind of freaky person does that on holiday?), spent a couple of restful hours by the hotel pool - lovely! Took ourselves off to Dubai Mall (defo beats Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow!) & spent some time watching the fountains. They are spectacular! WOW! Am now trying to get hubby to recreate in the garden with a length of hose & fork!

Day 3 - Burj Khalifa. We've done the Empire State & Rockerfellar buildings in NYC and this was definitely higher. Booked tickets online so cost was reasonable & although we expected a wait in a long queue, it didn't happen. We enjoyed this & would definitely say it was worth a visit.

Spent the afternoon in Dubai Museum. This is a hidden gem. Definitely worth saving a couple hours in the holiday for. The set up is very visual so it's suitable for kids and adults alike. Very informative and fun for much, much cheapness.

Day 4 - Took the abra to Deira. Oh wow, how much fun are the abras? 1 dhm for so much entertainment. I'm such a cheap date, people! I enjoyed both the spice and gold markets although I think the family got a bit tired of my magpie tendencies and the need to look at EVERY piece of jewellery in EVERY shop!. Treated myself to a couple of wee trinkets. Back on the abra to the hotel. Happy days!

Day 5 - Aquaventure & Lost Chambers - LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Thanks to Ian for extra vouchers. Much appreciated! Hope you're enjoying the golf!

Day 6 - Ski Dubai - thoroughly enjoyed this too. Read some reports that the runs are too short & narrow so was a bit unsure what to expect. Get real people! This is a fabulous ski run indoors in the middle of a desert (more or less)! Eldest son & I had a great time & would recommend.

Emirates Mall - even beats the Arndale & Trafford Centres in Manchester. No offence to anyone from the area :-)

Day 7 - Jumeraih public beach. A little busy but hey, it's free! No shade though so be warned if you have young children or you burn easily. What a lovely treat to be able to swim in the sea in April. Don't think I've ever swum in the sea at any time of year in Scotland brrr.

Took a little walk round Dubai Marina, very nice but not spectacular

Day 8 - Hired an abra for an hour. Lovely! So relaxing. Spent some time in the Heritage House & School in Deira. Very interesting but nothing special. It was very hot the day we went so maybe I'm being a little unfair?

JBR walk at night - This was fun and well worth doing. Spotted a couple of celebs (don't worry, we didn't point & stare!) stopped to have a coffee and do a bit of people watching & car spotting. Really nice night.

Day 9 - I'm almost there! Quiet day revisiting the markets (think I got diddled - no that's not a euphemism :-) but Im still trying to work out how! Ah well, lesson learned take a calculator next time!)

Day 10 - Afternoon tea at Burj Al Arab. I was sooooo born to be very rich! Definitely a highlight of our holidayso I would recommend it if you haven't done it but would agree with everyone else who says it not really worth the money.

Day 11 - Wild Wadi - not my favourite, seemed a little dirtier than Aquaventure but it filled the hours till hometime. 3 hours delay in Dubai (whilst on the plane sitting on the tarmac!) and 7 hours delay in Amsterdam waiting for our connection!

Overall - we very much enjoyed our Dubai holiday & had a lovely time :-)

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
636 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Wow really enjoyed reading your trip report , glad you had a good time.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Great report, sounds like your trip home was a nightmare though.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Thank you so much for your report mum. I too am going in June and am so excited!!!

Will take every 1 of your comments in to consideration and after much deliberation bought the entertainer on e-bay saving myself a few quid too!!

So thank you to everyone who contributes to the forum - every bit of advise makes that much difference to those of us who have saved for so long to take what is the trip of a lifetime for me and my teenage son!!

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Great trip report but what's an 'abra'?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/abras.php

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=abras+in+dubai&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=iCGPT4XcLYmiiQLDhb28Aw&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1152&bih=504

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Loved your trip report its always intersting to see what a 'first timer' thinks do you think you will return again one day?

I lol at what you said about the shopping malls, i am from manchester and i have to admit whenever i go to the Arndale centre or Trafford Centre it never seems as good as the Malls in Dubai !!!

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Hugedxb - thanks for that! Must try it next time!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

I've been sooo looking forward to reading your report and seeing what you thought of it all so nice to hear back from you.

Lovin your work and loved reading about your holiday. Lovin your description of the abra ride too - it definitely counts as the most fun I've ever had for 1 dirham (17p)

Even though I've done it several times we still have to do it every time we go.

And I think your point about afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab is one of the best I've ever read. People often ask 'is it worth it' and it's so hard to answer that question because of course the reality is that it isn't - nearly £80 for a few butties and a couple of scones and cakes is insane - but it will be a highlight for most so for a first time visitor I would also say do it for the experience and the memories, which last a lifetime and are priceless.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Great, fun report to read!

Taking an abra across the Creek is one of my absolute favourite things to do in Dubai, glad you enjoyed it so much.

I think you are spot on about Ski Dubai, I think it's great fun, I can't imagine what people are expecting if they are disappointed.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report from mumlady1 :-)

Where do you get an abra from?

Also you said you hired one for an hour - how do you go about arranging this - do you need to pre-book or just turn up please?