We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperature

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
248 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Temperature

As you all know my son is studying in Sharjah and we are going over on Tuesday. We found out today that our hotel was upgraded to the Dusit Thani.

Here's the question. My son was told that the official temperature in Dubai is reported at a lower temp than what it is actually. Any truth to that?

Mentioned in this post
Sharjah
Sharjah
Emirate of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Dusit  Thani Dubai
Dusit Thani Dubai
2,419 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperature

Yes it is always perceived to be that the actual temp is higher than the official and rumuors exist that it is because when we hit 50C the law allows us to stop work. This is not true but in the summer months outdoor workers are forbidden to work between 12 ( I think) and 3 pm.

here is an old link on the subject which holds true today

gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/no-law-on…

Hope you enjoy your flight and stay with us here in the UAE, temperatures are expected to be 38C on Monday according to the radio

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperature

If there is a difference it will be small, not worth worrying about.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
248 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperature

I saw the temperature predictions on the internet. And that is why I asked the question. For me 38C is very hot and if the numbers were being fudged by the powers that be, then I wanted to prepare myself for the possibility of it really being 40. Thanks. Can't wait to find out what the Dubai addiction is all about.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,821 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperature

Really I don't think 2 degrees will make much difference to you and I doubt if you'd be able to tell much difference between 38 and 40. At least you are coming before the very high humidity kicks in, that will make a world of difference to your comfort levels.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperature

A stupid question .....but when does the humidity normally kick in.

Is it during May or during June. I arrive June 13th and hoping the humidty is late coming this year! I have been to Dubai in Aug and Sept. Sept was far worse. I have also been in Oct and Nov and these months were great. The money could not stretch to a Nov stay this year ;(( but thought June may be a little better than Jul/Aug/Sep ?

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Dubai
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperature

Hard to remember when it kicks in, but certainly by June it will be here but not to the extent of Aug and September. Last year we left May at close to 50C

Wetherby, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperature

Denverbri69, the Dubai Addiction, as you say, is all about Quality and Service. I hope you find it, and enjoy it, as we have done during 5 holidays, over the last 4 years. I am sure it will be hot. In normal years, whatever they are, beyond May and before mid October, are far too hot for us. But last week was paradise around 30C.

Have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperature

I think it kicks in end of may begining of June getting worse July / August and getting better mid Septemeber, just my experience.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperature

Temperatures are starting to creep up but the max we've seen so far (living at Arabian Ranches just off Emirates Road) has been 35C. Generally speaking humidity peaks at night where we live. Guess we must have been here too long (but only seven years). Doors and windows still open during the day and the only cooling is from a floor-stand fan which keeps the air moving enough for us to feel cool and comfortable. Only room which is A/C is our bedroom at night. And we managed to drive to Muscat and back last weekend with no A/C on in the car and windows open while the average temp was 34C.

As Kali has said if 38C is hot anyway, very much doubt you'd notice the extra couple of degrees if it reached 40C.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Dubai and catching up with your son.

Mentioned in this post
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Dubai
Dubai
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
248 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temperature

Thanks everyone. I am a cold weather person; 0C is my comfort zone. I will let you know if this flower wilts while over there.