We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

I recently visited Dubai with the missus and little one (2.5yrs), mainly to relax and revisit our favourite places in Dubai. As some background, I have worked in Dubai for just under a year, although that was 5 years ago, and since then have visited every year. We have stayed in a mix of locations and budgets, but this time we decided to stay at the Raffles because a) there was a relatively good deal going on, b) it was central to everything we wanted to do, and c) Raffles is a luxury brand, so it would (hopefully) be a wonderful experience.

We took the overnight BA flight from LHR and landed at DXB at about 8.30am. It's a flight I've done many times before, although this time I was glad I didn't have to drive straight to work for a full day, as I'd done back in the day! Immigration was swift, and we then spent about 30 minutes sorting out the hire car. Now I know a lot of people on this board recommend Taxis because directions are often difficult and traffic can be a nightmare, but I don't mind it at all. Add the fact that lugging a 10Kg Car Seat around in Taxis would be pretty constraining about where we could go, hiring our own car for the week seemed the only sensible option.

It took just over 5 minutes to get to Raffles from the Airport, which was useful since we were all pretty tired. The drive was a lot shorter than I had imagined, but maybe it was because we'd missed the rush hour.

The hotel itself is pretty imposing from the outside, next to Wafi, and the checkin was very friendly, but relatively quick. We were invited to, and duly had a quick bite of breakfast from the buffet (more about that later) and then hit the sack for about 6 hours! It's only when we woke up that I realised exactly how big the 'standard' room was. It was Huuuge! I've stayed in some relatively spacious rooms, but nothing compared to this. It's probably as big as 2 very generously-sized living rooms, plus a functioning balcony (i.e. not just 2 tiny chairs on a ledge). Personally, this was a boon for us, especially with the little one. The view out of the room was OK (of a small garden). It was very very well kept and the bathroom was also pretty large, with separate tub and shower

We spent that evening in Wafi Mall, which is pretty quiet, but it had Encounter Zone on the top floor, where the LO spent a few hours playing on the rides, activity frames etc.

The next day we started off with a trip to Dubai Mall. This was a lot closer to Raffles than I had imagined, I think it took well under 10 minutes in the car, and was very easy to get to as Raffles is literally on the SZR. After grabbing a copy of the Entertainer, we headed straight to Rainforest Cafe, which the LO loved! Food was OK, but we weren't expecting a gourmet experience. This was followed by a trip to the Aquarium, which went down well with everyone. We then did a bit of retail therapy and ended having dinner there too. One of the things I like most about Dubai malls is that you can get food from all over the globe, of relatively good quality, at very reasonable prices. It puts the 'food courts' in places like Westfield London to shame, with their over-priced and tiny-portioned offerings.

On day 2, we started off with the buffet breakfast as usual. So just a little bit about breakfast; it was quite comprehensive, a good spread of hot & cold, arabic, indian and western fare and the usual cereals, fruits, pastries etc, all presented well and of good quality. Staff were quite proactive in getting tea/cofee, juices and always providing the LO with crayons/drawing paper etc. The actual chefs on the podiums were a bit lacklustre though, and occasionally looked bored. For example, some food had been sitting under the lamps and become quite hard/dry, and the chef tutted when I asked if they could bring out something fresh.

Most of our days were focussed around providing some entertainment to keep the LO happy, and today we visited the Dolphinarium at the Creek Park. Again, I was surprised it was so close to Raffles, less than 5 mins away, probably less if I didn't have to wait at the lights so long! The entertainer voucher came in handy here. The show lasted about an hour, the LO loved it, and it definitely appealed to all the young ones there. Following a quick lunch in the cafeteria, the LO took a quick pony ride in the park and we then headed over to 'Childrens City' which is also in the Creek Park. This place is fantastic for 40Dhms entry fee! I think the LO was too young to appreciate it all, but there were enough play/education areas to keep her happy for about 2 hours. I highly recommend this for anyone with kids between the ages of 2 & about 12. It's a relatively cheap way of keeping them happy & cool for at least half a day. We then hired a quad-cycle thingy and explored the creek park for about an hour; we'd done this before as a couple, but first time with the LO.

That evening, we had the first of what would be 4 dinners from room service. Now, I usually avoid room service at most hotels because it's generally quite expensive, the quality of the food is variable depending on the chefs in the kitchen, and it's quite awkward eating your dinner perched on your bed! However, Room Service at Raffles was amazing! We are both vegetarian, and not only did the menu have ample options, but they were more than willing to provide alternatives that weren't on the menu, all of which were of a quality I'd associate with a mid-level restaurant. To boot, most meals came in at a reasonable £30-35 for the two of us, with starter, mains and occasionally desert. You'd be right to ask why come to Dubai and then have dinner in your hotel room? My only response is that with a 2.5 year old, sometimes that's the most convenient thing to do after a long day, and when the food is that good, then it's not actually a bad thing! Because the room was so huge, they'd wheel in a massive table and 2 chairs, open the balcony doors and place everything so that it felt like we were eating on an open-air terrace rather than a hotel room!

On day 3 we decided to go to 'AquaPlay' at Mirdiff City Centre. This was the only day I wish I'd taken a taxi. I say that because although Mirdiff is about a 15 minute drive from Raffles (I know this, because that's how long it took on the return), it took us about 45 minutes on the way there, via places I'd never heard of before. The primary reason for this, other than my rubbish direction-taking, is the fantastically confusing road signs. You think you've taken the right exit off the motorway and then suddenly you get another 5 options that you have to evaluate at 60mph in under 10 seconds, which essentially means that unless you know *exactly* how to get somewhere, you're likely to get lost at least once. That in itself isn't bad, but what makes is annoying is trying to figure out how to get back on track since it's not as easy as getting off at the next junction and turning around. Anyhow, once we eventually got there, it was lots of fun! About 2-3 hours worth of playtime for the LO, whilst the other half did some shopping. This was the first time I'd been to Mirdiff City Centre too; It was pretty similar to Deira City Centre in terms of shops, but about a tenth of the visitors, it was *very* quiet - but that might have been more down to it being a weekday.

Day 4 was spent at Jumeirah Beach Park. Got there relatively early and settled down at a good spot, 2 deck chairs and umbrellas for about 40Dhms I think, and that was the 3 of us set up for the day! We lunched at the burger place on the beach, which was Maccy D's quality burgers and chips, which were perfectly reasonable (although not particularly healthy!) I think we ended up with some decent room service that night too. We had thought about mixing half the day at Wild Wadi, but reading some comments here previously, seemed like the LO was a bit too young, so maybe next year!

Day 5 we ended up mixing some time between MoE doing some retail therapy and taking the LO to the rides in Magic Planet (they were in the process of moving some of the rides, so not a massive amount for smaller ones) and then later lazying around Souq Madinat Jumeirah. Good relaxing day, and luckily enough to keep the LO happy even though it was a more parent-oriented day!

Day 6 was spent mainly around the pool area in the hotel, which we all enjoyed! That night we decided to put the LO to sleep and then take her in the buggy whilst we had a meal at Indego at Grosvenor House . It was a bit risky, since she's liable to wake up in the buggy, but luckily she slept all the way through, even whilst we moved her in and out of the car seat/buggy twice! I'm a big fan of Indego, yes it's expensive and yes you can get good indian food for about a tenth of the price, but I think the quality of the food, portion sizes, presentation, ambience and levels of service are amongst the best in Dubai, especially for Indian food. In my year there, I'd pretty much visited all the indian restaurants in Dubai, and settled for Indego as 'the one'! I haven't been to Amala as yet, but will do so next time.

On the last day, we ambled around Raffles till midday and then headed to Dubai Mall for the rest of the day, again doing some shopping, generally wandering around, watching the fountains, visiting Souk Al Bahar for the first time and then ending up having dinner at California Pizza Kitchen, which was a lot nicer than the last time we'd visited a CPK (in California ironically!). Raffles were more than happy for us to come back and shower up before we headed to the airport, which was useful since the flight was at the standard (but crazy) 2:45AM slot.

Overall we had a wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable time. I can't say we did or saw much that was new to us, but we're big Dubai fans so just revisiting old places and restaurants in themselves is a joy. Dubai is perfect for those with little kids, which is probably why we'll continue going there for a good few years yet. And once the LO is no longer little, we can then start doing all the other fun things we can't do yet as a family, .e.g dune bashing, skiing! Raffles was a hit with us, and I'd definitely recommend it as a first-class option to those who don't need to be on the beach (and even if you do, it's 15 mins away).

Now just about 300 more sleeps to go till the next time!

Worcester UK
Level Contributor
754 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

Thank you for this report - really well written and will be lots of help to people on this forum with similar aged children.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,249 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

I really enjoyed your trip report as I can totally relate to it. I also have a 2.5yr old little one and have previously stayed at Raffles and found it great for the very same reasons you did.

The huge balconies (and those oh so comfy chairs) were a god send as we spend a lot of evenings in the room and order room service, whilst our little one sleeps. I used to order cocktails and they had Daiquiris to die for as well as decent room service food.

I also had to laugh at your trip to Mirdiff City Centre, me and hubby had an argument in the car, the last time we went there as the road signs were useless and I got the blame for giving him rubbish directions, i really like the mall though as its so quiet and peaceful. I've never done aqauplay yet but think I'll give it a go this summer.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

Great report loved reading it .

London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

Thanks for the comments! I wanted to write this for two main reasons, firstly because I think other than hannaengland, there have been very few first-person reviews of Raffles, so I thought it would be of use for potential visitors. And secondly for those like me, who want to know what to do with their LOs in Dubai, so hopefully readers have a few ideas for next time! There are a few other things we did on our last visit with the LO that we didn't do this time around, specifically "Favourite Things" @ Dubai Marina Mall and then Kidzania @ Dubai Mall. Both come highly recommended for a few hours of fun, although I'd probably not take the LO to Kidzania until she's a bit older now, as most of the activities are probably aimed for 5+ and since you're paying £20-30 to get in, it's a shame to only be able to use 5% of what's on offer.

@hannahengland: We weren't so convinced at first that Raffles would be suitable for the LO (it's something I fed back to them in person too, as their website doesn't give any impressions either), but the staff's attitude and approach was brilliant. For example, bringing crayons & colouring pads at breakfast & providing colourful plastic cutlery. Then they'd leave some cookies in the room most nights - although they were polished off by the parents mainly ;-) I think the sheer size of the room meant the LO didn't feel constrained, as I think would easily happen in a 'regular' room, and therefore more likely to become agitated & ratty.

That said, I would at some stage like to try staying at JBH just because they seem so much more geared to younger visitors with the kids club, multiple pools, and proximity to the beach - perhaps when the LO is 5 or 6. (or when JBH stops becoming so expensive!)

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,249 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

jsg311 - you are so right about the room size, I think it helps with LO's having a larger room, You mention raffles has few reviews, must admit, I'm rubbish at writing reviews and tend to only put them on if the hotel iI've stayed in is either really really good or really really bad!!

Like you I would like to go back to JBH (stayed here some yrs back but didn't really appreciate it as we were in our mid 20's and childless and thought it was overun with kids). Now priorites have changed and realise it is a great family hotel but it is flipping expensive and prices seem to go up every year but think we are going to give a go next year as the kids club supposed to be amazing. Just have to get saving.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 19:31
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

Thank you for your report, sounds like you had a fab time. We go in June can't wait, son will be 3. We have been going each year for his birthday as think Dubai is perfect for kids. We did take him wild wadi last year as we stay in the madinat and he loved it wanted to go daily.

Can I ask for more info re the children city as haven't been there before?

Can I ask for more details re the

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
493 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

great report, especially for those of us with small children

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,691 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

Children's city is in the Creek Park, just across the field from the Dolphinarium.

I agree that the creekpark is a lovely space and that Children's city is a fab air conditioned way to spend some time. My son loved it in there, although he was 7 when we went and it is more geared up for children over 5.

middleeasthub.com/dubai/…childrens-city.html

There is also Zabeel Park, which has Stargate.

Here's a list of all the parks and what is in them

www.dubaifaqs.com/public-parks-in-dubai.php

Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

Thank you for your report, sounds like you had a fab time. We go in June can't wait, son will be 3. We have been going each year for his birthday as think Dubai is perfect for kids. We did take him wild wadi last year as we stay in the madinat and he loved it wanted to go daily.

Can I ask for more info re the children city as haven't been there before?

Can I ask for more details re the

Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recent Trip Report with a Toddler

Thanks latimer that's useful x

Can't wait for our holiday now in June. Hopefully my morning sickness is over before the holiday.