We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flights

London
Level Contributor
191 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting Flights

I plan to fly from London to Sri Lanka via Dubai. How much time do I need to allow between connecting flights?

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,233 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting Flights

If you are booked on a through ticket you won't have to worry about catching the connecting flight as the flight company will plan accordingly. If it's not one ticket then knowing how busy Dubai airport gets (and it is dependant upon landing time as some times are more busier than others) I would allow 2 hours minimum. Three hours if you really want to be on the safe side.

London
Level Contributor
191 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting Flights

Thanks, how would I know if the flight is a "through" ticket or not?

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,233 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting Flights

When you booked the ticket did you book London to Sri Lanka changing at Dubai. Alternatively have you booked London to Dubai and then another ticket for Dubai to Sri Lanka?

London
Level Contributor
191 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting Flights

I haven't booked anything yet but I wanted to book Emirates from London to Sri Lanka and the search comes up with a flight via Dubai with a two hour connection time.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting Flights

If it's all with the same airline (i.e. Emirates) then they will only let you book flights with connection times that can be achieved, therefore it is achievable and you hvae booked a through ticket.

You collect your boarding passes for both flights in London and then in Dubai you just go through transit security and on to your next gate. You don't see your bags until you get off in Sri Lanka.

The airline is allowing you to book those flights because the 2 hour transfer time is achievable and if for some reason you miss your connection (i.e. inward plane delay) then it is the airlines responsibility to get you to your destination.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 20:27
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,233 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting Flights

Yes as Lati says it will be a through ticket. Luggage loaded at London and then you see it in Sri Lanka. Two hour connection time is nice. No problems with this on a through ticket.

London
Level Contributor
191 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting Flights

Awesome, thanks very much for putting my mind at rest.

8. Re: Connecting Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:41