We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
141 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

Hi all,

We're staying in the Sofitel in Jumeirah Beach and are planning to go to Ras Al Khaimah for the day. Would it be easiest to hire a car or take a taxi to do this? This is quite a last minute trip so we don't have an International Driving Permit, but prices for hiring a car look very cheap (less than GBP£20 including all insurance for the day) although we may have to go to the aiport to do this.

If we took a taxi, approximately how much would this cost? The drawback of a taxi is that it will take us from Dubai to one place in Ras Al Khaimah, but then if we want to go somewhere else nearby we'll have to take a separate taxi, so I can see that becoming very expensive.

Any thoughts?

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,254 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

Hiring a car is certainly cheaper (think a taxi to from Dubai airport to RAK is about 150dhs, a little more from Jumeirah prob about 200dhs) and as you say you have more flexibilty if you want to visit a few places. The drive to RAK from Dubai is fairly straightforward, the emirates road is well sign posted, follow the signs to Sharjah road and from there RAK will be signposted.

Where in RAK do you want to be? You might be better off asking the RAK forum users as they will probably be more help with prices etc.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

A taxi from the airport to RAK is around 230AED. This includes 20 AED "airport" charge and 20AED Sharjah "toll" fee. From Jumeriah I would say around 275AED. Taxis around RAK and return to Dubai are a lot cheaper.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

Sorry, forgot to say...as hannahengland recommends, post some questions on the Ras al Khaimah forum as to what and where you want to go in RAK to find out if taxi or car rental is the best option.

London
Level Contributor
141 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

Thanks for your replies.

I guess our main issue with hiring a car (apart from the big city driving to cross through Dubai which I wouldn't relish) is the International Driving Permit and whether we'd need to supply one of these, which we won't have.

I've posted this in the RAK forum as well, but taxi prices don't sound as bad as I thought.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,254 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

How last minute is your trip, the reason I ask is an international driving permit can be issued straight away at the post office in the UK.

You will get conflicting advise as to whether one is needed however whenever my husband and I have hired a car in Dubai we have always been asked to produce an international driving licence (always use budget rent a car).

Also if you are not relishing the drive across Dubai, maybe a taxi would be your best bet as Sharjah drivers are a lot less sedate than Dubai drivers.

Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

Unless you are familiar with the roads from Jumeirah to RAK, my suggestion would be to hire a taxi. Dubai taxis are uncomplicated as they all have meters. It would cost (guesstimate) about Dh250-280 from Jumeirah - it is Dh210 to RAK centre from Dubai airport and I usually tip about 30 dirhams. But where do you intend going in RAK? Cove Rotanna would be a little cheaper, Al Hamra resort about the same as RAK centre, Hilton Beach Club more again. If you were to go to the (city) Hilton Hotel you could perhaps book a day trip, coach and boat, to Oman?? (Don't forget to take your passports) Remember, that day time temperatures are in the 40's which may dissuade you from walking very great distances! You can have a drink if you catch a cab - zero tolerance on drink-driving applies.

7. Re: Taxi or car hire to Ras Al Khaimah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:40