We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

Ans: Dubai respects western style of clothing, but does not tolerate disgraceful attire. It is advisable to cover knees and shoulders. Spaghetti straps, low cut tops may be viewed as offensive. Bikinis are fine on beaches and swimming pools.

HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE :) I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHAT TO WEAR FOR A WHILE NOW AND HAVE NOT FOUND A GOOD ANSWER TILL NOW.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

"May be viewed as offensive" doesn't mean that you can't.

The general rule of thumb is to dress as you would at home.

Bikini to the beach.

Sexy little dress to the nightclub.

Classy outfit to the nice restaurant.

Skirt and strappy top to the mall/shops.

Unless you're dressed like a stripper, you're not going to offend most normal people, only the perma-offended who'd just find something else to let offend them if you wear a full burka.

No-one really pays much attention to the knees/shoulders thing, and unless your backside and cleavage is hanging out, there's no need to worry (and even then that doesn't stop some).

As I always say on these types of posts, you'll quickly get a feel for what you can wear when you arrive here and see what most young people are wearing out and about.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

thank you very much for that :) I have been really worried about what to wear and I did ask the question before but I was told to read other forums which I did and wasnt any clearer on the matter.

But now I am very happy and much more relaxed about going to Dubai :) so thank you very much for your help. I travel over in 2 days and I am really excited

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

I suggest you also read this article from today's newspaper. It will give you an Emirati perspective, not an expat one as above:

gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/government/uae-cu…

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,010 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

Thanks Kali. Looks like there's a bit of a cultural divide on this issue.

My view and experience is to respect the cultural norms of any country I am a guest in and I personally cringe when I see some of the skimpy outfits some women choose to wear when visiting the Dubai malls.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

There is no cultural divide , just people not respecting other customs and I totally agree with Bronia about her view and experience. It seems Slim is much younger than me and whilst I accept his point it does not make it right. The tide as he knows is turning because people have taken it too far and yes it has been "allowed" but I believe I return to covered shoulders and more respectful dress is on the way.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

I've just returned home from Dubai and was shocked at the decline in the standards of dress in the malls and in the street. Saw women in short, strapless cleavage popping dresses and hotpants and boob tubes in the malls and walking along JBR walk and marina walk - at all times of day and nIght. Much more revealing than 2 years ago on my last visit. I must add these were not all white European women, there were also many others such as Iranians and other middle eastern women dressed like this. Also seems to have been an increase in Emirati women wearing an abaya but with no head covering with abaya wide open wearing skinny jeans and tight t shirt underneath.

I think in a way the authorities must be stuck between a rock and a hard place, they have let the slide in dress standards go too far, yet a crackdown now could surely generate a lot of press which in turn could affect the tourist trade. Added to which the malls are full of the very clothes which are deemed offensive.

Personally I hate to see underdressed folks and acres of flesh in any shopping mall wherever in the world and always dress culturally appropriately when out and about - surely it's not hard to cover shoulders and knees!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

"I personally cringe when I see some of the skimpy outfits some women choose to wear when visiting the Dubai malls."

That's not really the problem here though, most locals won't have a problem with women wearing shorts/skirt that stops just above the knee and a stop that covers everything except the arms and parts of the shoulder, and those who do are the types who have a problem with women in general, or the ultra-conservative. Regardless of culture, nationality, race, or anything else, the ultra-conservative should never be pandered to.

There's a middle ground between covering shoulders/knees and looking like you stepped out of a shop window in Amsterdam. If you wear a medium length skirt and strappy top, no-one will so much as give you a second glance and to suggest otherwise is bordering on scare-mongering.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

I think that after reading lots of views on this and other sites I will be covering up fully in malls for sure, and if I go to Museums etc.. which obv would make sense . I will only wear shorts/skirts in my hotel and in bars and nightclubs. and I will wear bikini's only at the beach and my hotel pool.

Keeps everyone happy I guess. 2 days to go :)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

Just to add was not criticising Emirati women for the way they were dressed, just noticed a change in the fashion since my last visit x

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,010 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the dress code in Dubai like? FOUND THIS INFO :)

Slim I didnt say anything about having a problem with skirts just above the knee etc - I am saying that some of the outfits I've seen in the malls are totally inappropriate and as another poster pointed out, there seems to be more women now wearing very skimpy clothing and some really do look like they stepped out of an Amsterdam window.........