We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One and only "Arabian court"

sussex
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
One and only "Arabian court"

Hi,

Just a quick progress report on the One and only Arabian court, arrived on Monday morning, beautiful location with lush green gardens, fab beach and wonderful rooms (no coffee or tea makers) not an issue really though for me as just go straight down to breakfast where the coffee is superb.

The rooms are large with lovely roomy balconys overlooking the gardens etc, bathrooms are massive with lovely toiletries etc.

We have eaten in four iof the restaurants and they were very nice although rather expensive but this isn't a cheap destination, about £12 for a beer and lunch sets us back about £80 with a couple of drinks and that's only one course.

My partner stays here about twice a year but in the palace which he prefers but they are renovating at the moment there so that's why we are here.

One thing that will stop me coming back though is that I have seen a number of tiny scrawny little cats wondering around the complex, their cries are pityful and when we ate at the beach bar and grill on Monday evening there was a little cat on the beach crying it's heart out begging for food, I gave it all of my prime Australian filet as did my partner, we did the same the following night after sneaking out the very expensive kebabs we had ordered from the morrocan restaurant Tagine...if the cat/kitten issue doesn't bother you the you will love it here...me on the other hand cannot handle it so will not be returning, ok, the place is not overrun with stray starving cats, I've seen 4 but that's 4 more than I wanted too, my partner said he has never seen any here and would never have bought me if he knew about them.

The staff say they sometimes take them away whatever that means, but on asking two more staff members one said he'd never seen any cats and one said that the hotel doesn't "take them away"

Talking of the staff...I must say that they are brilliant, acknowledging you all the time and nothing is too much trouble for them, they are delightful.

If you can afford the one and only royal mirage, please try it...but if a potty animal lover that gets upset by seeing things that they wouldn't normally see then maybe this isn't for you....we have another 10 days left so no eating outside here again for me having the hear those cries in the dark :(

Annee

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

I've stayed at the One and Only Arabian Court and enjoyed my time there. Service, rooms, position and food are all good.

Noting your comments about the cats, it wouldn't stop me eating outside or staying there again and I am a cat lover hence my avatar. I've stayed in other countries where they also have stray cats, so I wouldn't let it bother you so much. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

sussex
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

Thank you, I do wish so many times that I wasn't as sensitive to the issue but am going to try and enjoy it as such a wonderful place.

Annee

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

annesussex Im not being funny but if you and others feed these cats they will keep returning so people who feed them in my opinion are encouraging the problem. I noticed a few at LRM last year so guess O/O are not the only hotel with these furry visitors. Glad you had a good trip apart from that.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,730 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

I think we all know what 'taking stray animals away' means in Dubai even though we may not want to think about it.

Not sure I would feed anything I did see though - it'll only tell it's mates and then there will be more of them.

The One & Only is an expensive resort but the rest of Dubai doesn't have to be, depends where you go. Perhaps if you went out to eat you would find places that didn't have so many stray cats.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

Do not feed the cats it could be expensive as you have admitted the offence !!

There is a fine for feeding strays if caught a second time see bel;ow

gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/society/fines-for…

yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

We have stayed all over the world and cats are common in most if not all resorts, in a hot country the cats and other animals are thinner not just because they are strays but because it is so hot but I also think that a few cats around any hotel is a good thing as they do help to keep down the vermin.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

They have one at Jebel Ali hotel (fit and healthy ) I wonder if its an offence to feed the peacocks . When I was eating at the Captains bar one came right up to my plate and took a chip (cheeky )

Mentioned in this post
Jebel Ali
Jebel Ali
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

Wouldnt argue with a Peacock !!

sussex
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

I understand the comments and do take on board, certainly don't want to get arrested !

I have spoken to the management here and he said as there are so few he actually doesn't mind them as they do control the vermin etc.

The one and only resort would not be my choice of holiday accommodation as I do not and would never as a rule go to a "resort" so was unaware that there are strays in most resorts.

A lesson learned though, thank you for your comments.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One and only "Arabian court"

i think that any hotel or resort in a hot country or even in the uk tend to have cats around. cats will always go where there is food be it wildlife or people who feed them. it may be that you dont notice them in some places although we do tend to spot them as we like to compare them in different places.

I think the thinnest cats we have ever seen though were in Egypt but as long as they have no obvious illness or deformity then I dont get too upset, although I wouldnt compare their sizes to my 2 at home.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa