We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

A first trip over 11 nights at a gentle pace....mostly eating and drinking.

Friday 22nd July

KLM flights from Glasgow via Amsterdam were fantastic, 1 hour 20 minutes stopover in Amsterdam - Flights were Economy class and we booked well in advance and managed to book window seats on a 2 - 4 -2 configuration. A big plus for us !

Food on the flight was very good - For me it was chickpea salad, red Thai white fish curry and profiteroles for Mrs McP it was salad, pasta and mandarin mouse, probably the best food on a flight for me.

IFE was also very good, listened twice to the new Bruce Springsteen album as my daughter was at the concert in Manchester at the same time, good album that I'll buy when we get back. Movie choice was also very good, watched Chronicle and Tom Hanks movie about 911, huge selection of movies to choose from. Overall - excellent flights from KLM and we would definitely use them again

We arrived in Dubai, went through passport control, visited duty free for Morgan’s Spiced, Smirnoff and ciggies, then onwards to collect our cases.

A ten minute taxi ride (55 dirhams) to the AL Manzil and we were soon into our room on the 3rd floor with a view of the pool and Conservatory below, staff are so pleasant and nice, Stayed up to after midnight and we sit up chatting to 02:00 as we has decided not to go out as we have been travelling all day. The hotel room we have is ideal and lives up to the consistently good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Saturday 23rd June

A long lie and it's down for breakfast in the Conservatory Restaurant, great selection including French toast, waffles, freshly made yoghurts, freshly cooked omelettes, veal bacon, poached eggs and lots of local food that on the first morning I wasn't ready to experiment with (yet) !

Then it’s off to the Dubai Mall to pick up tickets for the Burj Khalifa on Sunday, also for some retail therapy for Mrs McP. I had heard prices in Dubai were a bit high, but in some stores they seemed reasonable and she bought a couple of dresses from H&M for our daughter's holiday to Ibiza. The Mall was very quiet in the morning but got a lot busier mid afternoon, we also spent some time in the Souk Al Bahaar next to the mall, bought some Coke, tonic water and a bag of ice which is nestling nicely in the glass of Macallan I'm sitting sipping at the moment. writing the first two days of this report

At night after a very lazy afternoon and a few room refreshments courtesy of duty free we head back to the Dubai mall, watch the fountains around 7pm and in daylight they were average at best, we went to PF Changs restaurant for dinner - spring rolls to share, Singapore noodles for me and a combo noodle dish for Mrs McP, far too much food for us but we did our best, then it was more window shopping and people watching for an hour or two before we waddled back to the Al Manzil.

Sunday 24th June

Breakfast Al Manzil - more of same – try a couple of smoothies which were lovely, We have 11:00 tickets to go up the tower and head over to the Dubai Mall where the entrance is located. We enjoyed our time up there taking lots of photos and 45 minutes late we are back down. Shopping again is a priority then over to the hotel for some pool time and room time as it was so hot in the afternoon. At night we watched the fountains again and they were much better, we then ate in Indian fast food place (Indian Palace I think) where we both had butter chicken/tandoori combos for around 50 dirhams each - OK it was fast food but excellent quality. Mall area was very busy but not a busy as the Saturday

Monday 25th June

More of same – Another big breakfast at Al Manzil, Subway for Lunch - Chicken Terriaki footlong between us, we discovered this in Las Vegas in March and it brought back a few memories and conversations from there, some more shopping and then back to room for refreshments, somehow mange to finish of the bottle of Macallan- pure greed !!

Back to Burj Khalifa/Mall area in the evening, had paella in a fast food joint Nordsee which was just OK, then watched the Dubai Mall fountains, this time they were incredible and done to the tune of the Magnificent Seven or Henrik's tune if you are from the green side of Glasgow.

Tuesday 26th of June

Breakfast in AL Manzil, then its packing time as we are off to stay in Hilton Jumeriah

A 20 minute taxi ride and costing 47.50 dirhams, under £10 - very reasonable and we arrive at Hilton Jumeriah. at 12:15, there was room on the 1st floor ready but if we could wait another 1.5 hours they could upgrade us to a Suite - a very big thanks to Tkilva and her boss for this. As we had a bit of time to kill we wondered around the pool, garden and beach area, first impressions are fantastic. Also wander along the walk for half an hour but it's over 40 degrees with decent breeze but still a bit to hot for us

Back to the hotel and our room is ready, on the 9th floor (executive floor) - Goodness me what a fantastic upgrade, the suite is massive, seating for 5 in the lounge area, seating in bedroom, great bathroom with bath, separate shower, bidet and toilet. Also a bar area for coffee, mini bar etc. We never ask for upgrades and never ever get one so thank you Hilton for this - what a start to our week there !!

We are full board (option to upgrade to other restaurants with 110 dirhams towards it) so we venture down to the Oceana buffet restaurant just to "see" what's on, Beef and veg soup, beef salad and choc and strawberry gateaux plus a walnut tart (all small portions - honest), Pepsis were 20 dirhams (£4) which seemed a wee bit high but at the moment we are still on a high from the room upgrade

Room 922 overlooks the front entrance of the hotel and the walk and beach beyond, it does have the sun on the balcony in the afternoon through to sunset and that suits us

Dinner at the Oceana was a themed night "Mediterranean" and once again was fantastic, my best bits were a prawn salad and a lamb dish which I've forgotten the name of - not forgetting the 3 small deserts, the were small as we are usually small eaters. Just as well I’ve got the trousers with expanding waste line with me :)

Wednesday 27th June

Take it easy, a gentle walk around the Marina area in the morning after breakfast

Have lunch which again was fantastic, mostly warm seafood for us plus the usual 2-3 small desserts, we spend another hour walking the beach line at the Hilton and head back to the room for some welcome air con and a spiced rum/vodka tasting session

Dinner didn't start well as they had no record of us being full board at the Oceana restaurant, strange considering that we had already eaten there 5 times, food was steak night Mrs McP had two wonderful fillets and well as prawns starters and just the 2 desserts. I'm still slightly annoyed with the restaurant manager and have soup, roast beef from the carvery and a desert or two , so full back to the room to watch the footie and fall asleep and miss it.

Thursday 28th June

Down for breakfast then a quick taxi ride 25 dirhams to the Mall of the Emirates, mostly window-shopping for us and we only bought a soft toy (Camel) for our grand daughter. It was strange to see the ski centre complete with xmas trees, snowmen etc, we get enough cold weather in Scotland so didn't venture in. We only spent 3 hours in there but I'd say the Dubai Mall is slightly better laid out but we did spend considerably more time there.

Back to the Hilton for lunch, not themed but all Italian for me, minestrone soup, rack of lamb with pollenta and asparagus, then Panacotta to round it off. Probably the best lunch I've ever had, Mrs McP had prawns and mussels salad, roast turkey and baked potatoes, and usual desserts. All small portions though :)

At night, after a couple in the exec room happy hour we again ate in the Oceana buffet, theme for tonight was laila al Arabia (middle east cooking) including the customary belly dancer. The food was decent but not really to out taste buds

Friday 29th June

Quick breakfast buffet, apple and ginger crepes were the highlight for me and we decided to go shopping, although very hot we walked to the Dubai Marina Mall, probably about 15 minutes, but very sweaty and needed time to cool off as we arrived, taxi back was only 6 drams so when we go back it’ll be a taxi both ways, Mrs McP got a couple of tops and nearly bought a dress from Monsoon, think we will be back there very soon

Friday brunch where we ate in Oceana again, much larger selection oysters, lots of seafood including piri piri shrimps, huge selection of desserts. I had a seafood soup, beef salad, lamp chops, piri piri shrimps, bread and butter pudding and 2 cheesecakes - all small portions Mrs McP had salad, freshly made pasta with mushrooms and shrimps and 1 or 2 deserts.

Shopping - along the walk midafternoon, we choose the designer part of it, too pricey for us compared to our US shopping jaunts so we decide against buying anything.

At night we spend another hour in the exec lounge, 3 Heinekens/Wines still going down reasonably well. Friday night is an Italian night and we take it easy...... just the 3 courses, Salads, fresh pan fried chicken in mustard and pan fried vegetables, strawberry Pavlova and tiramisu. Really stuffed once again but food at the Hilton is really superb.

Saturday 30th June

Spend two hours at the beach spending some of it in the very warm water, no breakfast for us - good decision I think as we eat bruch around 2pm. highlight for me was three fried lamb steaks with seasoned potatoes, not forgetting the two baked cheesecakes for deserts.

After this we are straight out and a short taxi ride (7.5 dirhams) we are back at the Dubai Marina Mall for another visit to Monsoon, as I said earlier Mrs McP had seen a dress she liked the previous day, she only tried the four on and really liked two of them !

I was nearly pleased for her until I seen they were 250 dirhams each, but hey she's worth it.

Saturday Night - after a couple of room refreshments we head over to the Exec Lounge for another couple the down for an Asian themed night in the restaurant, highlights being shrimp, duck in plum sauce and the best freshly prepared and cooked Singapore noodles I’ve tasted. Out for a gentle stroll along the walk which is really busy with people and cars, still people down the beach swimming and why not !

Sunday 1st July

In bed most of the day with a tummy bug which meant I couldn’t go very far, never had any food in the restaurant but I managed to go to the exec lounge at night so that Mrs McP could have some nibbles, cheese and crackers and 2-3 wines – Ii could just manage a beer.- back to the room for 9 and back into bed – I couldn’t even muster the energy to watch the Euro Final and fell fast asleep

Monday 2nd July

Up at 8 feeling a bit better, after having porridge for breakfast we spent the morning on the beach and in the water, as I still wasn’t 100% we decided not to do much, we did get a taxi over to the Atlantis (25 dirhams) took some photos but access was fairly restricted so we returned back to base an hour later. Spent the day in the hotel and had a very nice lunch with two plates of cream of carrot, some salad and just the one desert baked cheesecake !

In the evening we decide not to go to the restaurant again, opting for wine and nibbles in the Exec Lounge

As we were close to leaving for the airport Jebel Ali delivered a small gift package with a letter chocolates reminding us of our visit next year. – A lovely touch !

Left the Hilton around 9pm and got a taxi to airport was 70 dirhams, gave him 100 and then checked in quickly for about 10 o’clock, our flight wasn’t until 12:50 so we checked our mail/facebook to see our granddaughter walking for he first time – what a way to round off a fantastic holiday. A quick hour turnaround at Amsterdam and we arrived in Glasgow at 08:00 and were home for 09:00 after our younger daughter very kindly picked us up, stayed up all day, Mrs McP had to work in the afternoon ! Back at work on Wednesday for me.

Summing up – Our first trip to Dubai and we really did enjoy ourselves, such a clean city. By splitting our trip across two hotels meant (in theory) we could see more of Dubai, the Al Manzil is well located for the Dubai Mall and visiting the Burj Khallifa and is a great hotel and the staff lovely. We did expect to visit the Bur Dubai market area and the creek but due to the heat and the fact we are in Dubai next year we gave them a miss.

The Hilton Jumeriah was an outstanding hotel, location, pool, gardens, beach and Food were fantastic. All staff in all areas really excelled in making us feel special. For us the upgrade to a suite was a wonderful highlight and would make us stay here again next year. if we tag extra days on to our trip to Jebel Ali.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,894 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

What a lovely trip report. I've not stayed at the Al Manzil but have at the Hilton. We too made the most of the evening wine and nibbles in the executive lounge. Food was good as was the service.

Shame about the tummy bug or was it over eating, lol. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

Edited: 07 July 2012, 19:55
Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

Great report, really enjoyed it, I love first time trip reports the best. Lucky you getting upgraded at The Hilton.

After reading it I remember now, you were originally going to JA, how nice they sent you chocs.

Shame about the bug, I hope it wasn't all that seafood!!

On a seperate note, I went to see Bruce Springsteen at Stadium of light a few weeks ago, he played there the night before Manchester, he was amazing and my husband who was not initially a fan, has been converted and is now listening to his Wrecking Ball album in the car, so I recommend you do buy the album!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

Thanks for your report and glad you enjoyed Dubai.

scotland
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

Daisy - for me it was probably too much food and alcohol as I drink maybe once a fortnight, it was nearly all duty free too :) .

Hannah - how was JA ? Really looking forward to going next year. Upgrade at Hilton was fantastic and unexpected. Glad to see we have another Bruce convert !! I seen him in Glasgow 2 years ago and he was great, I'm getting too old for all the pushing and shoving in the standing area thoudh :( I've still not ordered Wrecking Ball yet so thanks for the reminder ! i have recorder him at the isle of Wight festival but not got round to watching it yet.

Chrella - thanks for the positive comments and we did have a great time despite the heat !

egypt
Level Contributor
344 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

great report going to hilton in september went last year pre cruise husband took ill on flight so coudnt do much we have got half board is evening meal buffett if so was it ok

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

A very nice "easy to read" report. A good use of "paragraphs"....

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,563 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

Egypt Green Garden

I'm guessing that you've posted without reading jadamcp's report because you asked if the buffet food was OK.

If you did read it how many more adjectives do you need to describe the food ?

I counted 8 adjectives describing the food, which included 'fantastic' and 'wonderful' and several 'best food we've ever had'

What else do you want him to say ?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

I really enjoyed your report it was interesting and again really easy to follow glad you both enjoyed your time there, i also thought KLM were good when we flew to Dubai with them.

egypt
Level Contributor
344 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

Who was asking you

Who was asking you

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,563 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report.June 22nd -3rd July - Al Manzil/ Hilton Jumeriah

As you didn't specifiy who you wanted to reply and the fact that this is a public forum where anyone is free to reply to any post then the short answer to your question is - you did.

And how typical that you post your latest point twice.

It's beyond me how anyone reading jadamco's excellent review of the Hilton, and, in particular the food, could then ask if the food was OK ???

I sincerely hope that you have a nice holiday and that the Hilton, the food and Dubai is everything you want it to be on your second visit, both to the Hilton and to Dubai.

And I'm sorry if people that are reading this topic think I'm harsh and unfair but that's me done replying to any more questions you have or posts that you make.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 19:04