We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

Nottingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

Hello,

We need advise please about our holiday to Dubai on 18th August. We have just noticed that my step son' surname is the same as mine not his mothers who has kept her maiden name.

We have contacted the travel agent who has suggested we cancel the ticket and they purchase another one with the correct name. They are charging us £100 for the cancellationand £510 for the new ticket. I spoke to Emirates at Birmingham about this as we are all registered sky surfers with them. We go to Dubai every year but they cannot do anything about it as it was booked through the travel agent.

I accept to having to pay to change the name but why do I have to buy a new ticket?

We have even booked the seats on the plane will they be in jeopardy now?

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

Probably easier just adopting him and changing his name to your surname. Unless he's ginger.

Nottingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

What about just changing his surname on his passport?

No he's not Ginger. I'm married to his mum who's surname is hyphenated with mine. My stepson has kept his mum's maiden name. The travel agent messed up but we overlooked it so are partly to blame

yorkshire
Level Contributor
158 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

Not sure how you could just change his surname on his passport as it is such an official document and I would have thought his name would have to be legally changed by deed poll which would cost too. I'd try to escalate it with both the travel agent and emirates if not you've not really got much choice unfortunately.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

What a cheek I would put it in writing to the travel agent make a offical conplaint

scream and shout, thats taking the biscuit (slim you wouldnt be laughing if it was you lol) You need to get advice before you pay out. Good luck let us know how you get on.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,254 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

I had a problem with Emirates incorrectly missing out one letter of my surname 2 months ago. They said it didnt matter when I phoned them, but their terms and conditions clearly state that the tickets name must match the passports so I persevered and after a few emails they changed the name on the tickets at no charge. I did however make my booking directly with EK and it wasn't via a travel agent.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

It's not the travel agents fault, and they are simply passing on the charges associated with the type of ticket and change fee. It may sound harsh but it's your mistake and the agent shouldn't be held accountable.

There is no need to pay a cancellation fee though, simply do not travel on the ticket and book another on the same flight - even through another agent if necessary. They don't have to know you aren't travelling.

It is correct that EK will be unable to do anything with the agent booked ticket.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

Best option is to go personally to the Duty Officer of Emirates Airlines, in the Airport Office, with the ticket & if possible with the passenger concerned, all passports of travellers. The D/O usually listens to reason and it is within his prerogative to fix your problem, I feel.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,592 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

Always providing that you don't mind leaving it until you get to the airport and risking an 'unreasonable' duty officer.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

Not just before you travel, but like, now - today.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stepson' incorrect name on eticket

Vasu8: Not sure how well you know the UK and cost of travel but trip to BHX from Nottingham and back is likely to cost more than the price of the change