We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip to Abu dhabi

Level Contributor
566 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
A day trip to Abu dhabi

Can someone recommend a nice day trip to Abu Dhabi? Does it make sense to book an organized tour? How does it work going by bus? I heard it takes about 2 hrs each way by bus. Would it make sense to rent a car for that one day? I would assume we have about 6 hours to spend once there. How would you divide up your time smartly? We want to see the mosque, but everything else is open. Thanks!

Khat Tours and Safaris
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Safaris, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Wander with Nada
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours
Raptor Team Tourism
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

While opinion is divided in this forum regarding car rentals, I vote for it as it gives you the best tool to make good use of your time, given the locations of some key attractions in Abudhabi. That you are a confident and experienced driver is assumed, otherwise you may be spending time finding directions.

Yas Island is a deviation about half an hour before you hit Abudhabi main city. The F1 circuit and Ferrari World are the attractions here, apart from the beautiful layout and some nice hotels here. Depending on the interest, you could spend half a day or more here. The other main attraction is the Grand Mosque which is just on the outskirts of Abudhabi, also on the Dubai-Abudhabi route. Then you have the Corniche, the Palace Hotel, an antique car museum and various other stuff.

Suggested route - Dubai-Grand Mosque-Abudhabi city attractions-Yas Island-Dubai.

Other means of transport are bus, taxi or organized tour. Bus leaves every 30 mins (6 am to 9:30 pm) from Dubai Bus Station, stops on the way at Ibn Battuta Mall, onward to AD. You have to reach AD city terminus, take another bus or local taxi back to the mosque or Yas Island.

You could engage a Dubai taxi to get dropped at the mosque, then use local AD taxis within AD.

Others may advise regarding organized tours.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

Arabian adventures and Viator offer tours as do others; that way you get commentary and someone else has the hassle of driving.

Whatever you do make sure you include the mosque.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Destination Expert
for Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

1) Select some of the TA's Abu Dhabi Attractions, based on your Interest to visit.

2) Hire a cab with driver for one full day.

3) Give him your itinerary and plans to have breaks, etc, and you will have a nice tour without any hassles.

Bus transportation will eat your time.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 08:11
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
592 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

Bus frequencies in Abu Dhabi are not too good. Within the city, you will need to travel by taxi. The mosque is a bit out of the way but you should have no problems finding a taxi there for the ride back into the city.

Ahmedabad, India
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

how much shud a day taxi covering mosque and Ferrari world in a day from dubai cost?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
397 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

i was quoted 700 AED for the whole day with driver. This price is negotiable and if I am book another trip with this guy it will be in the 500 AED range. Mind you, I am booking a 6 seater vehicle.

Ahmedabad, India
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

which company quoted u 500 aed. for the whole day trip.

can u pls. pm me the number of the company or the email I'd.

Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

Hi JeyaB and all the others!

I'm planning to follow your advice - have just a doubt about renting a car or hire a cab with driver for the day.

We're 6 persons - so are there cabs for 6 persons available ?

"Give him your itinerary and plans to have breaks, etc..." - that's fine - but do you know some blog links or other, where I can find ideas to plan something as I have no idea on what to select first and then in which order to plan it. I've been told that some taxi drivers from Dubaï have no idea of what to see and where to drive in Abu Dhabi - so that it might be a risky plan ! Thanks to help me.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,530 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

May be interested in my Abu Dhabi trip report and photographs which will hopefully help:-

Happy planning!

Level Contributor
51 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A day trip to Abu dhabi

It would certainly make sense to rent a car or to hire a driver for one day. I would not go by bus, in particular because you'd like to see several points in AUD. Finding directions from DXB and in and around AUD is not an issue. I have been to AUD more than 8 times and I always have a rental car for a certain time.

I agree with previous TA entries, you should see the Mosque and the Emirates Palace Hotel. Perhaps YAS Island or the F1 race track. Though I would go to Ferrari World only if you have children or if Ferrari means something special for you.