We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Religious Tattoos in Dubai

Newcastle Upon Tyne...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Religious Tattoos in Dubai

Hi Guys,

I know this question has been asked before regarding religious Tattoos in Dubai, but mine is more specific.

On my right forearm, I have a depiction of the Virgin Mary carrying a small cross. Above her is the Knights Templar seal and the background is of a castle wall.

On the inside of my forearm I have a Knight bowing his head after battle.

Will my tattoo cause offence in Dubai due to the religious/historical content within it?

My main concern is the Knight as some may see it as provocative due to the ancient Crusades (where atrocities were committed by both Christians and Muslims)

Thanks in advance for your help

Lee

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

How will anyone know if it will cause offence without asking everyone. would a swastika tattoo cause offence in some parts of the world, or a naked lady, a picture of Malcolm X etc etc. I wouldnt be too concerned if you are then

why not keep it covered up, then it just becomes a nuisance to yourself.

It is a good lesson in thinking ahead,,,

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

Nobody would bother about it, even if someone observes it from near.

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

Vasu8, it must be good to be in a position where you feel comfortable speaking on behalf of Dubai and its transient population,,

Newcastle Upon Tyne...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

Vasu8 - Thanks for your reply, I have been told that no-one would bat an eyelid and people would most likely be intrigued by the detail rather than the content.

Thanks

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

A question often asked is "Are tattoos haram in in Islam ?"

The Answer is that permanent Tattoos are Haram in Islam and the Prophet of Allah has cursed the person who has tattoos done on them and the one on whom tattoos are done.

It is narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “May Allah curse the women who do tattoos and those for whom tattoos are done, those who pluck their eyebrows and those who file their teeth for the purpose of beautification and alter the creation of Allah.” (al-Bukhaari, al-Libaas, 5587; Muslim, al-Libaas, 5538).

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

We have been to Dubai 5 times, my partner has all sorts of tattoos, the only time they were a problem was when we visited the mosque, where they politely asked him to cover his arms. On occassions he has been stopped by people who are interested and have even taken photos. I would not worry, but maybe cover up in the city if your worried and enjoy!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,552 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

Given the historical connection - a sore point I would think between Islam and Christianity - I would keep them covered.

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

Wearing a long sleeved football shirt might be helpful,,

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

I don't know where the question is often asked about tattoos being forbidden in Islam but I've never seen it on this board and it's not what the OP is asking.

I think the OP will be fine. People are unlikely to look close enough to be bothered. That said, if I was a Muslim and saw somebody with tattoos glorifying the Crusades then I might well be offended but I don't think the Virgin Mary will bother anybody.

10. Re: Religious Tattoos in Dubai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 08:05