We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxis and babies

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
taxis and babies

Hello,

we will be taking our 10 months old daughter to dubai and oman for one week. We won't be able to bring our own carseat and were wondering what the law is regarding baby in taxis? do they have to be in a carseat even in a taxi or is it ok to hold the baby on your lap?

Thanks

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxis and babies

The only taxi you will find with a childs car seat will be from the airport and even then you will need to ask for one. After that you will not see a taxi with a car seat. Car seats and seat belts are a big issue out here as most of the locals don't see the need for either. You will see kids standing on the front seats and even sticking their heads out of sun-roofs and windows.

So in short, it isquite normal to have the baby on your lap in a taxi.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 03:52
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxis and babies

Another obvious violation of the rules is to allow young children sit in the front. Baby on the lap, ok, but in the backseat :-)

On the side, this is what happend in Saudi..

A typical heavy duty 4-WD and a kid peeping out of the roof in in the running car. At a traffic light I asked the guy what was going on. Pat came the reply:

Don't you know? He is my son, and he likes to use the 'son' roof!

I should have known.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: taxis and babies

I am taking my sons car seat with us. Just will bubble wrap and put in the hold. We do this with all our trips. Even though it is common place to travel with children on your lap I couldn't do it myself personally.

4. Re: taxis and babies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 06:15