We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai with 1 year old and husband

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai with 1 year old and husband

Hi,

I am hoping to get some input on my dubai stay.

I'll be there April 25-29, we are staying in the Bur Dubai area.

Some things I would like to do and see are - go to a beach - which beach do you recommend and how long do you think we will be there? Do you have to bring your own food or are there shops and cafes on the beach?

I would like to visit the mosques - which mosques should I visit?

I would like to go to the gold souk and the spice souk.

I would like to see the Burj Khalifa - do you think I need to go inside and go up?

And I would like to go to the Miracle Gardens.

Is there anything I am missing that i should see/do?

Thanks.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,798 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai with 1 year old and husband

From Bur Dubai you have a choice of several public beaches or Jumeirah Beach Park. Personally I would go to the beach park rather than a public beach - public beaches have no facilities whereas the beach park has shaded and grassy areas, sunbeds for hire, toilets, showers, changing rooms and a small cafe.

The road that abutts the beach park and for that matter the public beaches in that area is miles and miles of cafes, shops and a really nice mall called Mercato mall.

Your hotel may provide a shuttle bus to the beach park and I don't know how long you will be there, it depends on your plans and how long you want to stay. If there is no shuttle than taxis are by far the best way to get there from Bur Dubai.

There is only 1 mosque you can visit and that is Jumeirah mosque, which offers tours every day except Friday at 10am. No need to book as you just turn up in the car park outside the mosque at around 9.45 - ladeis have to dress very conservatively for the mosque so you will need to cover arms down to wrists and legs down to ankles. You will also need to cover your head.

All of the above applies if you are non muslim - obviously if you are muslim then you can visit any mosque for prayers.

Visiting the gold and spice souk is easy and you can just get a cab from Bur Dubai or take an abra from Bur Dubai abra station - you may want to check this out first as you may not think it's suitable for your 1 year old.

You can see Burj Khalifa from anywhere in the city as it is so tall and you can see it close up from the promenade around the lake at the back of Dubai Mall. Only you will know if you want to go up and advice is to book tickets on line in advance to make sure you get the time you want - it is 125 dirham to go up booked in advance and 400 dirham to just show up and want to go up.

You will need a taxi to get to Miracle Gardens and it is a fair distance from Bur Dubai.

Hope that helps

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai with 1 year old and husband

Think you should go up Burj Khalifa. It is an impressive view and currently the tallest man made structure in the world. It would be sad if you go home and then regret it.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai with 1 year old and husband

Thank you very much for your informative response.

another question please - (or two)

would you recommend booking a lunch or something at the burj khalifa or is just going up to the observation deck is fine.

and is the parking free at the beaches?

we will only be in dubai for 3 days - four nights

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,798 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai with 1 year old and husband

You can book lunch or afternoon tea at At.Mosphere, which is situated one floor below the observation deck so the views are almost identical

Advantage - you can sit down

Disadvantages - It will be more expensive than just going up to the observation deck. You don't get the 360o walkaround view and you can't go outside.

Are you thinking of hiring a car ? I really wouldn't bother unless you intend going out of the city but if you are then the beach park charges and entrance per car rather than an entrance per person and the public beaches have free parking close by.

5. Re: Dubai with 1 year old and husband

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 06:16