We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

Salisbury, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

Is it illegal to share a room in a hotel with your partner/boyfriend if you are not married ?

How strict are hotels in Dubai and what are the consequences?

lincoln
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

No there not your fine to share A room

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,660 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

I thought it was illegal for a woman to share a hotel room with a man shes not married to ?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,969 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

It is illegal for muslims to cohabit before marriage.

It is therefore against the law in Dubai to share a room if you are not married, HOWEVER, it is one of the laws that a blind eye is turned to for the tourist trade and therefore it will not be an issue - no one will ask yoiu they will just assume you are. It is impossible for someone to tell whether you are or not unless you tell them.

The vast majority of hotels do not care - if they did Dubai would be 25% less busy than it is; both from a tourist and an expat perspective. Thousands of unmarried tourists stay in Dubai every year.

There are no consequences unless you commit another offence which draws you to the attention of the police and if you do then you will also be charged with co-habiting.

So the advice is do nothing that would draw you to the attention of the police and there will be no consequence.

London, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

Yes it's illegal. Yes thousands of couples visit and live together in Dubai without being married and have no problems. Keep out of trouble in general and you will be fine.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

Italian citizens keep their maiden name and there's nothing on my passport to say I'm married and to whom and have been in Dubai countless times and have never been questioned about this so it won't be a problem.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

It shouldn't be an issue for you last year me and my boyfriend got put in a stopover by emirates in dubai on the way to thailand ,they do seem to turn a blind eye.

I would just ensure you were respectfull of the culture.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

Display of affection in public (e.g. kissing) can attract the law to put you behind bars. Avoid it in public, or taxis or wherever. It is actually not legal for unmarried persons to stay in the same room (not limited to any religion). However many people do this, and many hotels are not bothered.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

I'm planning a stop over in Dubai with my boyfriend and am confident it won't be a problem. However, my sister is also coming with us. Would it be too much of a stretch if the 3 of us shared a room?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

You have to check with your hotel regarding a 3rd person, extra bed etc. Or you can book a larger suite

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it totally illegal to share a room in a hotel?

Yes totally illegal for unmarried couple to share a room. If you get caught then you pay for the consequences then don't complain afterwards because your the one breaking the law!!!