We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 hour overnight layover

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
16 hour overnight layover

I am arriving in Dubai in a couple of weeks at 6:45 PM on a Tuesday on an Emirates flight and departing Wednesday morning at 10:30 on another flight. I understand that Emirates will provide me with hotel accommodations (based on other posts, I think this might be Copthorne Hotel).

I would like to do some quick sightseeing while I am in town. After looking around the forums and elsewhere, this is what I plan to do. Please let me know what you think. I am open to any suggestions!

Arrive at airport, change a small amount of cash??

Checked bag stays at airport while I take shuttle to hotel overnight

Arrive at hotel and take a 2-3 hour guided tour of the city offered by the hotel, around $30 (anyone have more info about this?)

Go back to room and sleep

Return to airport by around 8:30 AM with carry-ons.

I am a single female traveler, if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

Being a single female traveller doesn't make any difference and you'll be safer in Dubai than you are in Alabama.

It would be a shame to miss the evening fountain shows on the lake in front of Burj Khalifa so I'd be tempted to miss the tour and just head straight there by cab. The you might just catch the 9.30 and 10pm shows. You can also eat dinner in this area as there are many cafes by the lake.

However, if you decide to do the city tour then you will see more of the city and if it is 30$ (dirahm equivalent) then that is a good price and will be cheaper than a taxi for the same amount of time.

london
Level Contributor
382 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

Is 6.45pm the time your flight arrives, or the time you would expect to get to the hotel?

If it's getting to the hotel, I would get a taxi to the Creek area, have a walk around & go across the water on an abra. This was my favourite part of Dubai. Allowing about an hour for that, you could then get the metro or a taxi to Burj Khalifa, see Dubai Mall and the fountains. Plenty of places to eat at the Mall, not many places near the Creek. You seem well travelled, and Dubai is a safe destination, not that I felt unsafe in Alabama!

If you land at 6.45pm, then this could be too much of a rush. Getting out of the airport, finding your shuttle bus, journey to the hotel, checking in etc, so the tour may be a better option. Not sure where they take you, but I would have thought the Creek and Burj Khalifa would be included.

Nice, France
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

Dubaï immigration officers are useless and abusive.... Théy have very insane rules to refuse your entry so watch out.....

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

What a sweeping statement.

I can only assume you personally had a bad experience as oposed to the millions of tourists who do visit Dubai and pass through immigration every year with no issues at all.

Perth
Level Contributor
439 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

I too find that statement confusing. I would like to know why that is so as my wife and sister in law from Australia are breaking their trip to and from the USA in Dubai (from Perth) i for a couple of days each way and I certainly do not want them to have a problem that perhaps should be addressed before the go??

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

Do they have passports that grant automatic visa on arrival ?

If so, then they shouldn't have a problem nor is there anything that you need to sort before they go.

If they do not hold passports that grant visa on arrival then they will need to pre-apply

New Jersey
Level Contributor
276 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

Latirner, can you expand on that? How do you get your passport to grant a visa prior to arrival?? Thanks.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

The pasport holders of circa 30 countries get automatic visa on arrival so if you hold a passport from

Australia Andorra Austria Brunei Belgium Denmark Finland

France Germany Greece Hong Kong Iceland Ireland Italy

Japan Liechtenstein Luxembourg Malaysia Monaco

Netherlands New Zealand Norway Portugal San Marino

Singapore South Korea Spain Sweden Switzerland

United Kingdom United States of America The Vatican

You will get a free 30 day visit visa stamped automtically and free of charge in your passport when you arrive in Dubai and go through immigration.

If you do not hold one of the passports above then you will need to pre-apply for a visa - you do this via your airline (if it is Emirates), via your hotel or via an online visa application web site.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
276 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

Great, thanks, from the USA so should have no problems

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 16 hour overnight layover

Dubai has over 10 mn. tourists per year. There are clear straightforward and simple immigration rules. Passport holders from some countries get visa on arrival (on the spot visa) others have to apply for a visa.

Dubai immigration itself is not taking a lot of time. BUT there can be long queues which can cost you a lot of time.

The officers are neither abusive nor insane.

Do not know what happened to Belinda. But I perceive her accusations as plain wrong.