We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

Hi, My two daughters aged 21 and 18 will be stopping in Dubai for 2 nights before heading on to the UK. They were planning to purchase duty free alcohol when leaving Dubai airport but we are unsure as to whether the 18 year old will be allowed to purchase the alcohol due to the drinking age in Dubai being 21 and over. Does anyone know for sure if they will allow her to or not?

Thanks

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
558 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

Good question.

Another would be why they want to purchase booze from Dubai to take to UK, where it is probably cheaper.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

From what I have searched and read on both the London and Dubai forums, is that Duty free alcohol in Dubai is pretty well priced and that there is not much on offer at arrivals at Heathrow.

The girls have a private transfer pickup from Heathrow with a limited wait time, so it would save them time at London end to not have to stop and shop.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

yes it is possible . They do not ask for passport at Dubai Duty free and also customs allow people over 18 to purchase alcohol free of duty

"Conditions for Exemption

The following conditions shall be in force for the duty exemption for the above:

1.Baggage and gifts must be of a personal nature and not in commercial quantities.

2.The passenger should not be a frequent traveler with goods on a regular basis, or a member of the respective conveyance crew.

3.Passengers must be above 18 years of age for carrying allowable cigarettes or alcoholic beverages into the country.

4.The aforementioned conditions apply to whoever accompanies the passenger."

dubaicustoms.gov.ae/en/…PermittedItems.asp

Hope that answers your question

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

Thanks for the info BlightyinDubai. I couldn't open your link but did end up finding the page that you were trying to direct me too. Thats good info and I have printed it out :)

London
Level Contributor
803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

I would have thought buying wine at one of the shops (M&S etc) just outside the Duty Free in London might be easier and a whole lot cheaper!

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

Hi

No one mentioned wine and I would guess they are looking for spirits in which case Dubai is better than London particularly outside duty free as incoming passengers

Regards

Doug

7. Re: Can under 21's buy alcohol at Dubai airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 05:19