We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

Hi

A couple of questions in one here! I saw on the hotel website that under 21s are not permitted in the Piano bar or Shades. We are taking our 19 year old daughter and don't want to not be able to sit in a bar during the evening, are there other bars she is allowed in ? Or is she allowed in those two but not able to drink? Maybe all of the hotels have this restriction, would be grateful if anyone could confirm if that's the case.

My other question is to ask if anyone has been to this hotel at Christmas time, and if so what you thought of it and what the weather's like at that time of year?

Really grateful for any help anybody can give me. Thanks so much.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,855 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

The legal drinking age in Dubai is 21 so bars in Dubai restrict entry to over 21s.

If you choose to go in a bar with her (maybe she looks over 21) then be aware that the bar and you risk being fined if she drinks.

There is a distinction between a bar and other areas where you can buy alcohol so restaurants or lounges for example.

You will be able to sit and order drinks with meals for example or in other hotels in the lounge areas rather than a bar but again your daughter, whilst she will be allowed in to these places can't drink alcohol legally.

The weather is nice at Christmas and certainly hot enough to sunbathe between 10.30 and 3pm. The hotel is very festive at Christmas (as is the rest of Dubai) with trees, a carol service or two and decorations everyweher

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

Thanks that's really helpful. So as far as hotels go she can't actually go in the bar and have a non alcoholic drink even?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,855 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

It depends on the bar and I know that it's difficult to explain if you haven't been.

Bars have a minimum age of 21 BUT hotel lounge areas where they serve drinks she can go in as long as she doesn't drink.

I'm trying to think of a similar situation in the UK for comparison for you so you can see what I mean and because I've been there today I'll use Hilton in Manchester

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

This has three options Cloud 23, Podium Bar and Podium restaurant. Cloud 23 is most definitely a bar, whereas Podium is the restaurant / lounge. If it was in Dubai she wouldn't be able to go in Cloud 23 due to age restrictions but she would be able to sit with you in the Podium Bar and also the Podium restaurant.

Of course the same thing would apply in Dubai as applies in the UK - many people go in or drink in bars when they are underage and they take the risk of being caught. It depends on your attitude to risk.

Several hotels in Dubai have beautiful lounge bars and then some have mega trendy bars and there are many, many places where you will all be able to sit together, just not in bars that have an age restriction. In all honesty the choice of lounges is so vast that I really do think you will be spoiled for choice and remember you can go in any hotel to have a drink, not just the one you are staying in.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 23:15
Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

Also, as it's nice, you will want to sit outside and that extends the range of places you can go to. For example, if you go to Madinat, you could go to Rivington Grill or Belgian Beer Cafe and sit outside for dinner and stay to have a few drinks afterwards.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,398 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

If you are below 21 you are not allowed in any bar (alcohol serving drinking establishment) and discos / night club. You are allowed in restaurants serving alcohol. So far so easy. But in reality it is not always easy to see what license an outlet has, it can be confusing.

So you can take U21 into Barasti Beach Bar tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g295424-d9… but you are not allowed in the Hilton Bar. This is because Barasti holds a restaurant license and the Bar a bar license.

In reality you will have to be a bit flexible.

Mentioned in this post
Barasti Beach Bar
Barasti Beach Bar
1,803 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

Thanks so much this has made it very clear and made me see it will be fine.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 21:47
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

Another question, if I may? Folliwing all of your very helpful comments, i have decided to book the Royal Meridien for the Christmas period. I will book bed and breakfast, bu does anyone know if there is a gala dinner on Christmas Eve or Christmas day, and if so how would I book this. (I am booking the hol as a pacage deal online ). Thanks so juch.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 22:30
Mentioned in this post
Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa
Le Royal Meridien Beach...
6,727 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,855 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

There is a gala dinner can't actually remember if it's Christmas Eve or Christmas Day - maybe both.

You might find that it is compulsory to pay for the dinner if you are making a Christmas booking, in which case it will be included in the rate.

The on line agent or the hotel will confirm for sure.

9. Re: Le Royal Meridien under 21s and Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 05:17