We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
781 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Hi

These are becoming much more common and we were stopped at customs coming into Dubai as both my husband and I had one in our hand luggage. A police/security man was called over and apparently they are illegal (I suppose because they are nicotine, which is the same derivative as SSRI's, antidepressants). I hadn't thought about this before taking them.

Anyway, we were allowed through with them and I just thought it worth letting people know.

104 replies to this topic
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

They are illegal and will probably just be confiscated at customs if they are found (although in your case the let you keep them). A bit more info on e-cigarettes in the UAE here:

gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/health/e-cigarett…

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Try these instead,

oldtimecandy.com/bubble-gum-cigarettes.htm

Edited: 19 June 2013, 09:30
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,132 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

iamangel...so what did you do without your ecigs...bought a pack of Marlboro instead?

I stopped smoking 6 months ago but would not have managed without ecigs....patches, gums don't really

work.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
781 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Fortunately, they let us through with them. I am trying to stop and am now a little concerned that next time we go, if they are taking off me, what I will do as the patches, etc don't do it for me either and to go back to proper cigs would be heartbreaking......

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

For some reason the supply of finely ground German snuff has become unavailable in the US. You can probably get it in the UK. As an alternative, I simply pop one of those small Dutch dried cigars in my mouth for the flight over. No need to light it. Once I get to Europe I get a supply of the snuff. One pinch of that will keep you going for a loooong time.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Surely they wont ban these lol lol

ebay.co.uk/itm/…

7. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 16:35

8. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2017, 10:38

9. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2017, 10:38

england
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

My e-cigarettes (vapour-battery type) were also taken from me at Customs going into Dubai...they were to be destroyed as they are illegal there. I was eventually given them back, with a warning, as I was only there for a few hours between flight connections. Cigarettes aren't illegal in the UAE though.

Reply to: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted