We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is child seat law official as yet?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is child seat law official as yet?

I will be going to Dubai in November with a 3-4 year old and 11 months old baby. I will be hiring a car and looking to take with me the car seat but is it officially a law there now that a child under 4 or 6 must be in a car seat?

I know they were talking about doing it a while back although just wanted to confirm whether it is now mandatory.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is child seat law official as yet?

Technically and by law everybody has to wear a seat belt. And - it seems - that since 1st July children under the age of 10 must be in a child seat.

Also by law you are not allowed to use a mobile phone without hands free set, should use the indicators before making a turn, should not flash your lights as indication to overtake, should keep a safe distance and not tailgate, should not swerve lines and should follow speed limits etc. As said technically and by law.

In reality all of above is not followed by a large part of motorists. Children are positioned on the lap of the person in the front seat and the air bag or in a SUV sitting on the middle separation. Or they use the backseats and any other space as moving playground. Many drivers have the opinion that the save distance between two cars is below 1 meter and that only flashing lights show their absolute will to overtake you somehow. Also if there are 4 or more lanes it seems more fun to try to use all of them in the shortest possible time.

Now, I strongly recommend to use not only a child seat for the safety of your children, but if possible to rent a larger car offering more protection and taken more seriously, as well as to drive smoothly and calmly.

If you should have an accident, you have to call the police (999) by law. That applies for scratches as well. No garage is allowed to repair a car without police report.

Remember that there is 0-tolerance of drink driving. That also applies in the morning after a party.

Never use the middle finger and never use swear words, it can only bring you into prison. All fingers touching each other upwards whilst the hand is moving up and down means ‘be patient’ / wait.

Please be also aware of rules in a roundabout. Use always your indicator. If there is more than one lane in a roundabout, the user of the out-most lane is expected to exit.

If you see a single or double digit number plate, get out of the way. They have the law on their side.

Finally, drive extra carefully in the afternoon during Ramadan. People fasting are dehydrated. That results in less good concentration. And that in turn creates more critical situations.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is child seat law official as yet?

As far as I'm aware it is not yet mandatory but recommended and proposals are in place to enforce it.

The government tried a pilot a few years ago and issued car seats to new parents leaving the government hospital as it was argued a lot of lower paid workers could not afford car seats however I don't know if this is still the case.

This issue boils my blood, I have Arabic family in Dubai and they used to think nothing of letting the kids stand up in between the middle of the seats or putting a new born baby on a lap. It's a different way of thinking to what it is in other countries but they are becoming increasingly better now and car seats are much more common place.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is child seat law official as yet?

Sorry I was typing as Phil posted his - I didn't realise it had become mandatory on 01st July

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is child seat law official as yet?

Not sure if it is mandatory. It seems to be, but I am not 100% sure.

However, it does not really matter what the law says. There are more accidents here than in the West.

Was involved into one accident myself about 6 years back (guy driving against one way into main street directly into the side of my car). Nothing happened to my kids as they both were in child seats with side impact protection. And happily I am driving a larger SUV (which still was a write off) and the other guy only a normal car. Would not like to know what would have been the result if the kids would not have been in a child seat and I would have driven a smaller car.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is child seat law official as yet?

gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/traffic-transport…

But why you need a law I do not know, maybe those in power believe a law replaces brain cells !!

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is child seat law official as yet?

Suggest forget about compulsory or mandatory rules for a moment. Think about your own personal safety and that of your family, children, also of the rest of the public in other cars and walking on the roads. Safety is of paramount importance, whatever you do - be it personal or business related matter. Let us not worry about whether or not others around you follow it, but it begins with the individual. Do what is called for as safety in driving, just follow standard established procedures. At least you will not contribute to any accidents or injury. Secure your child properly in the car in the back seat.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is child seat law official as yet?

Thanks for the link, Blighty.

We are almost certain looking to go back in April 2014 and always hire a car when we do go. I assume car rental companies will provide child car seats when requested (extra charge of course)? My youngest will be 2.5 years old when we do go, so it will be good to know if they do/will provide car seats. Otherwise we can just take our own as part of hold luggage. My eldest will be almost seven, so he can be seated as normal.

8. Re: Is child seat law official as yet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:20