We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

So we wake up as normal and decide that today is going to be a split day, between the pool and the city (again).

Mrs D reminds me to check when the Burj Kalifa tickets are booked for, and say I think for tomorrow, but will double check. I dig out the pre-booked tickets and realise that we have made a huge error. The tickets were valid for the trip for yesterday evening!!!! Omg! That's 360AED down the pan!

I read and re-read the terms and conditions and it is very clear stating that these are non refundable and non-changeable. I am truly gutted!

Mrs D says not to worry and comforts me in that mistakes happen and for it not to wreck our holiday. I am a bit sour, but thankful for such an understanding wife. I suggest that I try the concierge at the hotel to see if there is anything that they can do to contact the Burj to see if we can negotiate anything...

We wonder down past reception, and I take the paperwork to the lovely lady there and explain the situation. She says that he colleague books all of these types of tickets and asks him. He shakes his head and says, sorry sir, but no, they don't give refunds.

I feel down. I had booked these tickets 4 weeks in advance to get the time slot we wanted, just before sunset, so we could see the city during the day and night, and also see the fountains in the evening from up on high......

Mrs D can see that I am down and says once again, to not worry, we can book some more tickets. I regretfully agree and we head down for breakfast.

Once eaten, we head out into the water adventure park again. This time, we are experts. We efficiently get out guest tickets and a locker, and we bring along some water from our room and the refillable cup that we purchased the other day. We get changed and head out for the fun morning of slides and water.

Mrs D and mini D go off onto a two person only ride, so I arrange to meet them back at the beach in about 20 mins time. I head up to the zuggagart rides (might need to check my spelling on that one) and then hop off at the top to meet them. Speaking to the life guard, they have already gone past! Argh! So I decide to ditch the ring, and head up to the leap of faith....I always get a few butterflies before I do it, a bit of a rush I guess, but I cross my arms and legs and over I go....weeeeeeeee

I walk over the bridge and can't see the family on the beach, so decide to go get the camera (go-pro 2) to record the footage going down the slide. I grab it from the locker, and wander back up to the top of the Aztec monument. I look the go pro into its water proof case (although it didn't feel quite right in its case this time) and prepared to go down the slide, remembering to hit record. Down I go, ensuring I have captured some great footage and then head back to the beach to meet the family.

We then grab some more tubes and head down the rapids.....I start to record, using the go pro again and...NO....... What's this, water in the waterproof case!!!!!!!! I quickly extract the unit, dripping wet, and realise that I have to down the rapids in order to get out and dry the thing! 10 minutes later I am at the beach, pulling apart the go-pro battery, sd card, etc. I am gutted! 2 things going wrong in one day. I mention it to Mrs D, and she says once again, that these things happen....I then say to her, but they often come in threes!!!! We laugh a bit about it, and she says, is this because you wanted a new go pro? I said no! The one we have is perfect. I am just annoyed with myself.

I dry it out in the sun, but it appears dead. Mrs D days that I need a bowl of rice to dr it out properly, eventually I agree to try it and I wander back to the restaurant under the east tower and make the strange request for a bowl of uncooked rice to the lady at reception. I explain why and she happily sees what she can do. 10 minutes later, with bowl of rice in hand, I head to the room and leave Mrs D to enjoy the aquarium for some of her time, whilst I want to disassemble the go-pro.

I arrive at the room and then start breaking the go-pro down and place it in the bowl of rice. Mrs. D says I need to leave it for 48hrs but I keep checking it....hmmm...lets see how it goes.

Anyway, I decide to get Internet access in the room, from the business centre, and get our devices connected up. This allows us to share photos etc. with our friends back home in the UK. Previous connections have been free in the Dubai Mall, but as we are 21st century people it's quite nice to email or Facebook home.

Whilst surfing and writing blogs, I say to Mrs D that it would be a good experience to try the souks out, over at Deira. She and Mini D agree, and we start our preparations. We aim to eat at the hotel for 6pm, then grab a bus to the emirates mall (free from the hotel) then a cab to the souks. Well, that was the plan.....

We take a shower and get dressed and arrive downstairs for food. We enter Saffron again, without a reservation and eat a lovely selection of fish. It's fish night after all.

We then head back to the room and quickly get ready to catch the bus from the front of the hotel. We arrive outside with 10 minutes to spare, the queue is already forming.

A bus arrives and we are at the front and enter, to be told that this is not the bus for the malls??? We hop off. Mrs D is getting annoyed now (she doesn't normally do public transport..lol) we we wait a bit and discuss our plans. Another 5 minutes later, we decide to grab a cab, all the way to the souks. One arrives and we go for it, hopping in and then we are on our way to the souks. About 30 or 40 minutes later, we arrive at the gold souk. The taxi cost us about 80AED, so not too bad.

We enter.... And we are hit with how much pushy the men are here, than say the souks in Egypt. Mrs D is fair haired is instantly attracting lots of attention. I keep a close eye on them, they do not look happy Ds. Every 10 steps someone is in your face asking if you want fake watches, t-shirts or hand bags. We all politely say no, but these guys are very pushy. After 15 mins, Mrs D says, I have had enough, can we plead go to the mall.

I agree, my family not being happy is more important than anything, so we head back to the taxis. On the way we pass shop on the outskirts of this mayhem. I spot some delightful fridge magnets for my friend back home. The tackier the better, I barter with the man and get them for all of 1.50 each.... See quality... :)

We grab a taxi and head to the mall. Mrs D and mini D now look a lot happier. Mini D was not a happy boy, but is now more relaxed. At least he experienced it. Mrs D and I both recall, the bad things happening in threes, perhaps this was the third of the day!

We arrive at the mall, and it's busy! I promise Mrs D a Starbucks coffee and she asks off am going to buy my watch? I have been after a specific watch for a few years and they happen to sell it here. We but the watch and the head for some coffee. It should be noted that you can barter hard, even in the malls, here. The starting price of the watch was cheaper than the UK, yet I still managed another 20.5% discount !!

So take some coffee and head out to the fountains. I finally get my Burj picture and we watch the fountains in all their glory...amazing.

We continue to shop and head to the toy shop which I forgot to mention in my previous post. Mrs D and Mini D jump on the motorised scooters and I jump on a motorised bike and we nip around the shop passing unsuspecting shoppers.... We must have looked mad!

It's heading for 11pm and I suggest that we head back. We go down to the car park and catch a city cab back home. 25 mins later we arrive and then we head to our beds. It's been an experience today, but ended up alright.

Speak soon,

Doobs.

X

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

Sorry to hear about your camera, I didn't know about the rice trick. Years ago when my camera got soaked by a smashed bottle of vodka I dried it in a radiator. Rice sounds gentler!

I've never found the men in the sougs very pushy at all, maybe they are mire animated at night, I usually go in the day.

Enjoying your reports.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

I thought the 3rd thing was going to be something to do with the watch so very pleased you were able to buy it, at least something positive came out of the day.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

Enjoying your reports keep em coming .. hope the rice trick works I have heard of this but never tried it,

our video camera got soaked in sea world florida one year and we dried it out with the hairdrier worked fine after that ..

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

Any dessicated food will dry out whatever you want. I "repaired" a wet iphone by sticking it in a pot noodle type tub. Rice crispies, corn flakes etc all do the same job.

keep up the blog, its the best thing ever written on this forum!

Edited: 31 July 2013, 17:33
Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

Max, how did the pot noodle taste?

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

<< I've never found the men in the sougs very pushy at all, maybe they are mire animated at night, I usually go in the day >>

I only ever visit during daytime and the Gold Souk has been like that for the past 7 years, every few minutes someone is in your face asking if you want a copy watch etc

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

Swrxp, the pot noodle tasted ifine thank you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments back. Are the blogs helpful to others?

9. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 23:05
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 4 - Bad things happen in threes.....

devonukman: being asked if I want to buy something while wandering in a souq is not my definition of pushy so maybe that's where the difference lies. It's all down to perception after all and I consider that normal and expected. It's only if they are in your face and persistent that I'd consider them pushy but I've found a polite 'no thanks' always stops them.

See my recent post on exploring the souqs for my take on it: tripadvisor.com/…50932153