We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

Hi, I'm going to be in transit at Dubai Int Airport for about 7 hours. With restrictions on taking liquids, I'm concerned about enough drinking water for the family during our wait for the connecting flight. Can anyone tell me how much the cost of bottled water is at Dubai Airport so I can plan ahead. Thank you in advance.

On another note, if I am going to be in Dubai for 7 hours, as UK nationals can we visit the city? Is it doable? And more importantly would the airport remove our baggage from transit if we leave - requiring us to check them in manually for the next flight?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,697 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

No idea how much it costs but easy enough to buy local bottled water such as Masafi etc, which will be cheaper than imported brands and around the same price as buying a bottle of water in Tesco. There is a Costa Coffee and several cafes and restaurants too.

It is perfectly possible to visit the city as UK passport holders get a visa on arrival. Your baggage will transfer to the next flight automatically.

If you decide to do this then make your mind up before you get off the plane as you will have to follow the arrivals signs rather than the transit signs - once you are in transit departures you can't exit.

If you tell us what time your flights land and take off then we can make suggestions of where to go.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

Unlike beer, water is very cheap in Dubai (unless you buy the imported fancy premium branded water) & it won't have much of an impact on your budget at all, unless you drink like an elephant :)

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

Thank you for your reply and the advice . We are traveling by Emirates and will be arriving in Dubai at 7.50pm local time. Our next flight doesnt take off until 3am. It's an awkward time so I appreciate the idea of visiting the city may be unsuitable, but I've never been to Dubai and if it does have some nightlife it might be a good way also to kill some time. We are traveling as a family of 4 so that may also make it unsuitable?

Regarding the bottled water, I'm assuming I should buy this after passport control as anything outside will not be allowed through. Hence why I asked for prices at the airport rather than in Dubai itself. I take it the prices inside airport are similar?

Edited: 11 August 2013, 18:45
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

Water is very cheap in Dubai airport itself, although to be honest, I've taken bottles of water & cans of pop through security when leaving Dubai a number of times, & nothings ever been said.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

Thank you Jayne, that's great news :-)

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,697 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

I would head out of arrivals, through immigration and out to the taxi rank.

Take a cab from the rank to the rear lakeside entrance of Dubai Mall and hopefully catch a fountain show on the lake in front of Burh Khalifa then have something to eat in a café along the promenade.

You'll need to be back at the airport for 1am and a taxi back there from Dubai Mall will take 20 mins.

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

Thank you Latimer. Looking forward to it now. Going to get my bearings from the places you've suggested with some online maps :-)

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

You've easily got enough time to leave the airport and see some of the city. You can go to the fountain/Burj Khalifa/Dubai mall (all in same place) and look around and having something to eat. On your way back to the airport you can ask the driver to take you to Burj al Arab ('7 star hotel') and get him to wait for you while you jump out and take some photos. It's well worth going to see but it's in the opposite direction to the airport so leave Dubai mall one hour before you want to arrive back at the airport and you will have plenty of time.

They are not strict with liquids at Dubai airport, I usually take some water through security and always buy two small bottles at duty free to take on the plane. I think they cost about 1 dirham each.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,697 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

1 dirham is about 18p.

Tripadvisor-7 You will need some local currency for the taxi so could change some money in Dubai airport and then change any notes back to UK money on departure

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,566 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bottled water in Dubai Airport?

Small bottles of local Masafi bottled water costs 1 dirham airside.

Security seem to be getting more lax about letting water through recently and I've gone through with small bottles as well.