We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed re Eid Al Adha

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed re Eid Al Adha

The idea of not knowing the actual date of a holiday 1 month away is new to me and I am hoing someone can explain a few things to me so I might better understand. I read Eid Al Adha is estimated to be on Oct 15 but it depends on the sighting of the moon. What does that mean? The sighting of the moon in what regard? Is it a full moon, in a particular section of the sky? And when will they possible "sight" the moon to know the actual dates of this hoilday? Will it be the day before, a week before or any day now.

With regards to crowds - I read the public sector with get the whole week off...so is there any point for me to attempt to "avoid crowds" at waterparks or malls as plan out our first trip to Dubai.

I really did not want to be ther during a holiday and bascially wasted money on The Entertainer since we will be able to use few of them but trying to make do and understand how it works.

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

Hi :)

I don't know in details how it works, but "sighting of the moon" literally means "sighting of the moon". I don't know what exactly they are looking at, but basically a committee looks at the moon and says "yup, it's Eid" or "nope, it's not Eid yet". But don't worry, if it's not on the 15th it will be on the 16th or 17th at latest.

Also, they are pretty good at estimating the date, so I would give the 15th 90% probability...

Re attempts to avoid the crowds - I'm sorry but you're right, pretty much no point in even trying. I'd avoid waterparks and other "family friendly" attractions at all costs...

Good luck in all cases!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

It is usually the night before they let us know when eid is.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

Unfortunately we have a 9 yr old and this is a family trip and I am not going to tell my child we cannot do anything fun for kids because of crowds..but it s****..so we are now stuck with crowds...yippee.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,727 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

But Eid al Adha is always on the same day every year - just of the Islamic calendar, which is lunar based rather than the Gregorian calendar, which is not.

The variation in dates of Eid al Adha around the world depends on whether the moon has been sighted or not and the international time zone so it will start a day later in North America than it does in the Middle East.

Yes, the public sector get some days off but you are vastly overestimating the Emirati population in Dubai and the number of public sector workers in comparison to tourists, who will make up the majority of the crowds.

When you've asked this question before the advice has been avoid the waterparks on Friday afternoons and Saturdays and if you want to visit the malls when they are quieter then Friday morning is quietest with mornings always being quieter than later in the day and the malls being busiest on Thursday and Friday evenings.

That advice won't change regardless of when Eid is announced so just go and enjoy your holiday

Edited: 04 September 2013, 22:15
Anchorage
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

Thanks for that but what does it mean "the moon being sighted or not"? I'm really curious and on its face I read that as seeing the moon but that's makes little sense to me because, barring cloud cover, we see the moon so I am really interested to learn what it means. I think your explanation of crowds and when they are generally the heaviest helps. I have taken the expected days of Eid Al Adha celebration and I think work out a plan that covers what we want to do. I am sure the trip will be great and at least with croeds comes lots of good people watching.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,727 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

It is the sighting of a new moon that is the deciding factor and there is a moon sighting committee which will make the decision to officially announce the start of Eid.

Lunar cycles are predictable and scientific and as above you can be more than 90% certain it will start on 15th - however the moon sighting committee has the final say and if it is too cloudy for them to see the new moon then it will be the next day. Bear in mind that you are talking about the Middle East so it is rarely so cloudy that you can't see the moon.

It is centuries old, traditional and whilst it may seem a little odd to someone that doesn't follow Islam it is the way things are done.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
867 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

There is a very important difference between Eid Adha and Eid Fitr when it comes to knowing the dates.

Unlike the Ramadan Eid, you get to know the confirmed dates for Eid Adha 10 days in advance (as the holiday is the 10th day of the lunar month vs 1st day of the lunar month for Eid Fitr).

As for holidays, they start from the day before the actual Eid Adha day, (known as Arafat/Haj Day)

This year, holidays are likely to begin from Monday 14th October (it could be a day later as well depending on the moon sighting, but you will get to know by the 5th/6th of October

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,011 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

Mid October is peak season. Not only is there Eid al Adha (celebrate Abarham's willingness to sacrifice his son) but also the autumn holidays in Europe. Also, as Egypt is currently not a nice holiday destination many tour operators switched part of their clients from Egypt to Dubai.

Finally it is just very nice weather in the UAE (not too hot, not fresh, not too humid and sea not too warm).

Hence you will not be alone. And picking a destination like Dubai you knew that you will not be alone.

Public holidays in the UAE (as in any other country) do not pop-up by surprise. They are well communicated. https:/…

Now you can either see the glass half full or half empty. Many places will offer promotions and some will have longer opening hours.

With 10m visitors a year, shopping centers are never empty.

Your entertainer book is still valid. You did not 'waste' any money there.

My advice is to look forward to your holidays and enjoy them. At the end they are what you make out of them. And maybe the next time you will invest a moment to google up public holidays in your holiday destination.

9. Re: Help needed re Eid Al Adha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:19