We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Topic
Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

Any suggestions on gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.?

For relatives who are families in the 35-45 yrs range (like me) with kids in the 10-20 yrs age group. The relatives and I are of Indian origin. Looks like pretty much everything is available in Dubai!

Would prefer a gift that can be given as a gift for the whole family. And the smaller in size/weight, the better, preferably from Costco or amazon. Budget is up to $20 or $25. I have about 10 families (40 people).

How about:

- Salted pistachios

- Salted & roasted almonds

- Small battery operated portable personal fan

These are ruled out:

perfumes, phones, wine, cosmetics, chocolates (just because the ones I like to take, tend to be soft and melt).

So basically, is there anything from the U.S. that would be cool to take to Dubai as a gift? Any small unusual items that we take for granted in the U.S. and would be nice to have in Dubai.

Thanks.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,742 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

All of the items you list can easily be bought in Dubai. It is a country with a large expat population and so you can buy most things from most places there.

I can't actually think of any small unusual items that you would 'take for granted in the US' that couldn't be bought in Dubai, even Hershey bars.

Instead of focusing on what they may not be able to buy why not just take whatever gift you think appropriate and as it is a gift they will appreciate it

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

I often take things that have our country on it. We are in Canada, so I bring stickers, badges, t-shirts, that have "Canada" written on them.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,659 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

Hi Rani

Please post only once. Your message is there, no reason to post it three times.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

I'm sure the OP didn't mean to post three times.

I really wouldn't bother taking nuts, they are everywhere in Dubai, every little shop stocks them so it would be an odd present to bring from the US.

I think post number 2 is a good idea.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

There are enough nuts here :-) Touristic souvenirs from your place could be interesting.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
833 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

This is a question I have to ask myself frequently; and both ways as well :)

Here are some things I find have used as gifts from the US to Dubnai

1) Souvenirs from National Park Stores

2) College paraphenalia, in case someone had attended college. Even if they had not, some teens might appreciate stuff from Harvard, MIT etc if they are the academic type

3) Apple Products with Facetime

4) Certain food items of particular brands like Cherry Jam, granola bars et

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

The only nuts we don't 'commonly' get here are macadamias. If I am honest, I don't think fridge magnet type stuff would cut it, particularly - and please forgive me, I have no wish to cause any offence here - if the family hails from the southern part of India. Candies will go down well and, believe you me, we certainly don't get all the US products here. At the same time, it's unlikely that your family members would buy many of these brands anyway. It's also worth noting that most of the common brands here are not produced in their countries of origin and, therefore, generally taste different because they are specifically manufactured for hot countries.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions.

Thread proliferation was not by design! Didn't see the thread, and clicked on submit again! Sorry.

And yes, the family, does happen to hail from south of the Vindhyas. :)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

A friend of mine who lives out there can never get good tea bags. So when I go out I always take several packets of their favourite tea bags for them.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,161 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts to take to Dubai from the U.S.

I wonder what kind of tea your friend drinks. I can get my usuals in Dubai: Lady Grey, Earl Gey, Jasmine, Jasmine Green tea. Maybe they are not so good with American brands?