We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gold souk

cornwall
Level Contributor
18 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
gold souk

Does one haggle in the souk and if so how much roughly will you end up paying on the original price.

London
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gold souk

Haggling is part of the norm and the experience in the souks. There is no definitive set amount as it would completely depend on what you were buying eg whether it was just gold, had stones in it etc,etc... Some would suggest halving the price suggested and then working up, others would suggest maybe less. It may also help if you have a rough idea of what you're looking to spend. I'm sure others will have valuable suggestions to offer too.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,791 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gold souk

I love the gold souk. Fabulous atmosphere and a wonderful choice. I aim to pay around 75% of the required price. Sometimes I've been lucky and other times I've paid almost the full price because I liked the item so much.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: gold souk

Gold is known to be cheaper in Dubai, but sadly that's not the case it's around 30-40 % expensiver than UK regardless of the gold rate.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,758 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gold souk

Bizarre !

Gold is the same price the world over and as manufacturing costs are lower in Dubai there is no way - unless your haggling skills are totally rubbish - that you should or would pay 30-40% more in Dubai than you would in UK for the same item.

So are you suggesting the two posts previous to yours were untruthful ?

In my experience gold and jewellery are always cheaper to purchase in Dubai than in the UK - fact.

London
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gold souk

I've been going to Dubai for many years can honestly say I have never paid more there than I would in the UK. Regardless of whether the purchase has been big or small, I have always haggled and been able to lower the original asking price. As Daisy mentioned , usually to somewhere around the 75% mark but at times it may have been a little more or less. As Latimer said, the cost is the same for the gold, but as the manufacturing is cheaper, this is potentially where you can reduce the cost and again this would depend on what you were buying and how it was made etc..

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: gold souk

I actually invest in gold! Firstly let me tell you one thing gold prices fluctuate every minute of the day and you don't know weather your getting a good deal or not if you dont know the actual price of gold at that time.

Secondly it comes down to the purity of gold course it would be cheaper if your buying 18K/ 22K instead of 24K gold. There's many more variables that come in to qustion when buying gold.

I was actually there last week and I can say the price of bullions was expensive than the UK which like Latimer says is. "Bizarre" never mind the price of gold jewellery where no doubt labour is cheaper.

A lot of people may think they're getting a bargain when infact they're not.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 00:45
7. Re: gold souk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 06:19