We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai - 8 hour stop over. Tips and suggestions

Santander, Spain
2 posts
Save Topic
Dubai - 8 hour stop over. Tips and suggestions

I would really appreciate some tips about venturing out of the airport for 2-3 hours. I arrive at 5.15 a.m. and fly out at 2.00 p.m. Ideally I would like to get a taste of Dubai without too much hassle. Is it possible to get a taxi driver to take me to various sites? How safe is this? How much would it cost or how much would it be reasonable for them to charge me for a couple of hours of sightseeing?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,465 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai - 8 hour stop over. Tips and suggestions

If you hold a Spanish passport then you get visa on arrival and it is possible to get a taste of Dubai in your short time frame.

You will be out of the airport by 6.30am and need to be back for midday so you have 5.5 hours

Go to the official rank at the airport for a taxi. It's perfectly safe and the official cabs are all metered. You can either get one taxi to take you around and wait for you at various places OR far easier to just get a cab to each place you might want to see and then get another one for your next journey.

Most things don't open till 10am so it might be nice to head somewhere for breakfast and then maybe a quick trip to the gold or spice souks before another cab that will take you around the main routes of the city taking in Burj Al Arab, Jumeirah Mosque and the promenade around the lake in front of Burj Khalifa.

It's not really possible to tell you how much a journey or journeys will cost as we don't know where you will go but 200 dirham should see you through easily - you can always change any dirham back to Euro at the airport of you don't use all of them

Edited: 07 November 2013, 00:41
Santander, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai - 8 hour stop over. Tips and suggestions

Excellent thanks for the info. Sorry to be a pain. But where would be a decent first stop for breakfast before I try and do some sight seeing?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,465 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai - 8 hour stop over. Tips and suggestions

You could be at Deira City centre mall in 10 mins - the stores will be closed but there will be numerous places around there for breakfast or you could head to anyone of a number of hotels along the creekside in Deira for breakfast - Hilton, Sheraton, Radisson Blu etc

Or you could head up Sheikh Zayed Road towards Burj Khalifa and again there will be numerous places open for breakfast, then go on to the lakeside promenade and do a quick tour out to Burj al Arab and then return to the airport via the spice and gold souks - they are only 10 mins from the airport

Taxis are really easy to find everywhere and the official cabs are easy to spot

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai - 8 hour stop over. Tips and suggestions

It's perfectly safe, the taxis are government controlled and metered. What I would suggest is that you have in mind the places you want to go rather than just asking the taxi driver to take you on a tour.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai - 8 hour stop over. Tips and suggestions

You have about 5 hrs as mentioned above. No need to hold on to one taxi, as they are easily available. Guess you would have checked-in your baggage to the final destination, so you don't have stuff to be lugging around. Make a mental map of places, again as suggested above, you like to see (refer to highlights on the right of your screen), then you can do the trips in an organized fashion. Food is not a problem you will find restaurants all over the place, practically in every other building.

6. Re: Dubai - 8 hour stop over. Tips and suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:19