We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New year's eve 13/14 near airport

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New year's eve 13/14 near airport

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are going to celebrate new year's eve in Dubai. We are flying home the 01/01-14 at 3 o'clock, so we can not celebrate the evening in the middle of the city, since we will like to avoid too much traffic.

Any good ideas to were we can eat and maybe see fireworks near the airport?

Thanks in advance.

Best Caroline

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,092 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

Assuming your flight is at 3am then you will need to be at the airport at 1am and to be honest I wouldn't risk being anywhere at that time on NYE in Dubai without a taxi already secured.

Can you confirm if your flight time is 3am or 3pm on New Years Day ?

Copenhagen
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

It is 3 am. Yes that is exactly what i am worried about, and why I would like to eat near the airport.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,092 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

I'm really struggling to think of anywhere that is close enough without the risk of you not getting a taxi, so you'd have something to eat, see the fireworks, celebrate New Year and miss your flight.

The minute the fireworks finish, more than 1 million people will be trying to get somewhere else and for most of them taxi is their option.

In the area immediately around the airport there is very little in the way of restaurants etc - there are a few hotels BUT again don't expect to walk straight out of an hotel 10 minutes after midnight and straight into a taxi.

Trying to help but have no idea of your starting point so where will you be staying before you set off for the trip to wherever you wanted to be ?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

I think you were aware that this New Year would be different when you booked this flight schedule.

My best option would be to follow through and celebrate in the airport. They have a hotel in the terminal. Book a room and celebrate there. Or go to the spa and celebrate there. Will be different but you catch the flight.

Otherwise you can try the Bustan Rotana, organise a hotel limo (don't count on taxi), and right after finish singing "Auld Lang Syne" drink up and jump into your limo.

Copenhagen
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

Thank you both for your answers.

I am aware that it will be a different new years eve, and that we might not be able to see the fireworks and still catch the flight. Right now we are just looking at some nice place to eat near the airport, so we can relax and enjoy the evening

We haven't booked the hotel yet, so I will definitely look at your suggestions. I think it is a really good idea to spend the evening at an airport hotel.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,092 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

Then your best options are

Al Bustan Rotana

Le Meridien Dubai airport.

Warsaw, Poland
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

Hey I will be alone and have the same situacione my flight is at 2.30

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

OK, what is your question?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
336 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

If you could do an early check-in, so that your luggage is already in, and you have your boarding pass, than a 2am arrival at the airport will be acceptable. You could go to the Festival City and dine there and watch the fireworks too, and hope on to a pre-booked cab (a must!) by 1am, to arrive safely in time by 2am.

The distance between the airport and Festival City is barely 6-7km (meaning a smooth 12-15 mins drive), but this being NYE, I would buffer in an hour's time to be on the safer side.

Many options exist at the Festival City, all the way from the fine diners at InterCon and Crowne Plaza, to Hard Rock, Traders Vic and the many restaurant that line the Marina Restaurant Pavilion.

Choose wisely, and ensure that you are well cushioned on time.

Helsinki, Finland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: New year's eve 13/14 near airport

Hi, I have the same situation too but my flight leaves already 2.35. But I assume being at the aiport at 1 is fine enough (my luggage will go automatically forward). I just wrote to a tourist office and asked them any suggestions, I wonder if they'll answer. I found these messages right afterwards.

I REALLY hope to see some fireworks, even I won't make it to the greatest ones. You might make it to the downtown but I doubt I can after reading other's comments. One more option is to find a place where we all go and order a secured taxi together, already well before and make sure we'll have the taxi waiting? I'm an easy-going 35-years old woman from Finland.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 04:14