We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

Hello

I'm flying from Glasgow - Dubai - Mauritius in 2 weeks time with a 1h 50 minutes transit window time.

The threads in this forum mention that transiting involves going through security(so no point buying any liquor from Glasgow) and i guess was considering whisky bottles from Dubai is the only option.

Will this be enough time to go through security and buy liquor as well? It's my first time transiting through Glasgow.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,007 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

Hi,

I often transit with a one hour fifty minute time limit and even have time to have a drink and meal in the lounge as well as a quick shop.

You only have to go through security which IME has considerably speeded up in the past few months.

You cold buy booze in Glasow if they will package it in the tamper free plastic bag - a lot of people I know have done this and had no problems with Dubai security but I havent tried it.

You can buy whisky in duty free arrivals in Mauritius though it might be cheaper in Dubai.

Have a lovely time in Mauritius.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,114 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

They might put in in a tamper free bag at Glasgow and they might let it through in Dubai, then again they may not so you could risk it or you could buy your whisky in Dubai duty free and not have anything to worry about.

Why spend the money and take the chance ?

You should have time to buy some in Dubai duty free.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

Hi there- have been so many differing opinions to this question so I decided to find out for myself.

I contacted the duty free dept at my local (NCL) airport and asked them to consult the 'official

list'. They informed me that I could buy wine/ spirits etc but that we would have to advise them at purchase that we are transferring through DXB. Then the items would be placed in tamper proof bags and would be acceptable -otherwise NO!

In the past we have successfully transferred from NCL to Thailand and India to name but a few with no problems at all.

Out of interest - when do you fly? We may be on same flight!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,007 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

So are you going to try it Northumberlandlady?

Let us know if you do :)

A thought: They ask where you are travelling to in the UK when you purchase duty free, plus they have your boarding card, but I suppose you would have to make sure they do put it in one of the tamper free sealed plastic bags.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

I think we might give it a go.

We have done it successfully in the past - I will post back and let you know Bronia.

I think people may have encountered problems if they later open the bags - they will only be accepted if the seal remains unbroken.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,007 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

That's my take too Nortumberland-lady - yes please do report back, that would be very useful thanks :)

Leeds
Level Contributor
145 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

Unless the alcohol is in sealed tamper proof bags it will be confiscated by the security staff in Dubai

8. Re: Transit in Dubai and Liquor Carrying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:17