We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Research on tourism from Malaysia to UAE

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Topic
Research on tourism from Malaysia to UAE

Hi everyone,

please let me briefly introduce myself and my inquiry. I´m a Cultural Anthropologist from Germany, based at Hamburg University. Currently, I´m working on my postdoctoral project, in which I focus on tourism, Islam, gender and modernity. I want to look at Arabs from the Arab Peninsular (especially from the UAE) traveling to Malaysis and vice versa: Malaysians traveling to the UAE - what makes Malaysians to come to the UAE, what makes Arabs come to Malaysia, what do you imagine regarding this country, what does travelling mean to you, how do you organize your stay and so on.

At the moment, I´m staying in Kuala Lumpur until end of January. I'm planning to go the UAE in spring 2014. I´m very much interested in getting in contact with you Malaysians or Emiratis/Arabs from Arab Peninsular. For Malaysians here in Malaysia before or after your stay in the UAE, or in the UAE during your stay later on. For Arabas, here in Malaysia during your stay or, if you are from the UAE, before or after your stay in Malaysia in the UAE itself later on.

If you are interested in participating in my research, please contact me at

violathimm[at]arcor.de or

+60-10-2700191 (Malaysian number, until January 22nd)

Of course I can give you more information about my project, if you like.

Thank you very much and kind regards,

Viola Thimm

--

Ms Viola Thimm | Doctorate in Cultural Anthropology

University of Hamburg

Institute for Asian and African Studies

Dept. of Southeast Languages and Cultures

Edmund-Siemers-Allee 1, East

20146 Hamburg

Germany

+60-10-2700191

violathimm[at]arcor.de

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,082 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Research on tourism from Malaysia to UAE

As you may know if you have been around Bukit Bintang, particularly in summer, there are tons of Gulf Arabs. I've watched the numbers grow over the years that I've been going there and always assumed it's because Malaysia is predominately Muslim so they have easy access to mosques and halal Arabic food.

I don't know about the other way around as I'd recall ever meeting a Malaysian in Dubai.

(btw I'm not Arab or Malaysian so this is just my opinion)

2. Re: Research on tourism from Malaysia to UAE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 05:18