We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai metro queries, kindly assist

India
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Topic
Dubai metro queries, kindly assist

I am a physically disabled non UAE national who wants to visit Dubai for 5 days in January. I understand that Disabled persons can travel free on Dubai buses and Metro. My question is, can tourists avail of this benefit , if yes, Do I need to buy a Blue NOL card to avail of the benefit?

I have sent 2 emails over the last 2 weeks to ask@rta.ae and waited in vain for a reply.

Thanks

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,065 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai metro queries, kindly assist

As I said in reply to your PM, I am sorry but I don't know the answer.

Perhaps someone else does or you could phone the RTA, which is likely to get a more immediate answer than email

Edited: 04 January 2014, 10:35
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
557 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai metro queries, kindly assist

You won't get a reply via email to a govt dept.

The requirements for a blue NOL card are a UAE ID and a UAE Permanent Disabled card, neither of which you have.

So to answer your question: "computer says no".

Sorry, its one of those grey areas where you will need to find someone of authority who is prepared to make a decision.

Easier just to pay the fare.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai metro queries, kindly assist

Unfortunately RTA does not seem geared up to handling visitors who need help like this. It is a pity, and a definite area needing improvement.

India
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai metro queries, kindly assist

Thank you for your reply, Latimer, OzzieBen & Vasu. I plan to buy the 1st ticket and inquire at the counter for the subsequent ones.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai metro queries, kindly assist

Vasu, if you mean the RTA is not geared up to answering queries then I agree.

I disagree if you mean the RTA is not geared up to giving free transport to non-residents. I don't think it's usual practice in other cities for disabled tourists to get free travel.

Feral_Child if somebody takes the time to reply to your questions in PM it's polite to thank them.

6. Re: Dubai metro queries, kindly assist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 06:17