We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Dubai

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Dubai

Me and my girlfriend are planning on going to Dubai in September. We are not married and are worried that could affect our holiday because of their strict rules. I already am aware of the clothing and alcohol rules but is it true that being an unmarried couple in Dubai is dangerous? Mainly im worried about the hotel as I heard staying in the same room could cause some alarms with different surnames on passport? Please help me on this topic!!!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,879 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Dubai

If you don't tell them they won't know. Many married females keep their maiden names and many couples share a room too with no problem.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Dubai

Many married people from the middle east and for eg South America have different surnames, so that on its own will not raise that much interest. There are many hotels where it is easy to get a room; we did it last year. Do a google search; there is lots of information. Some hotels do ask for a marriage certificate though ie the Hyatt asked a guy from work (married) for a copy at booking.

There is always a chance you could get busted although I doubt, if you are discrete, Dubai wants the attention.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 17:17
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,502 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Dubai

As above, the fact you have different surnames is a none issue.

No need to do a google search as it is one of the most common questions on here and you'll find tons of other posts.

There are thousands of unmarried people in hotel rooms all year and whilst strictly it is illegal no one will care or know unless you tell them and they will simply assume you are married. It is also common to refer to people as Mr First Name and Mrs First Name so the surname is irrelevant.

Certain hotels have an issue with gentlemen being visited in their rooms by ladies with whom they intend to share very little - this is particularly noticeable by the docks or the airport, so in that sense I'm not surprised about the Hyatt comment.

Stick to the more popular tourist areas and you will be fine.

Incidentally, it is overlooked by the authorities unless you draw the attention of the authorities by behaving in public in a way you wouldn't want your mother to see - if you follow that advice then you'll be fine.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Dubai

You'll be fine if you don't come to the attention of the police for another reason - getting in a bar fight, falling down drunk in public etc. The hotel staff will not care about your status. Just refer to each other as husband and wife and nobody will know you are not married.

Many, many unmarried couples visit Dubai and live together in Dubai with no problem.

Search this forum for many other threads on this subject.

5. Re: Going to Dubai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:21