We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Husband shopping in Dubai alone

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Husband shopping in Dubai alone

I've spent the last 2 hours emailing backwards and forwards my husband with shopping requirements and photos of things he's found while shopping for a few hours while he's in Dubai without me ,on a work conference break. He hates every minute of this...undecided...what to bring home to our adult girls.... what Perfume/oil to buy me... " they all smell the same " he says ! Twice he writes that he hates shopping !!! Any one else have this problem? I know, I know...I tried to fit into the suitcase. Will have to wait till I go in August.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

I don't particularly like shopping either so I wouldn't want to inflict it on a loved one who hated it!

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

Wives like you are evil.... and yes I own one!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

I'm after some Arabian perfume / oils . Can I help him out by pointing him in the direction of a middle eastern musky scent, in a particular shop , with a particular brand name? I've read so much info on here about different ones, but want to make it easy for him. Dubai regulars , what are your favourite perfume oils at a reasonable price....for about 20 - 30 ml ...not a huge price for 3 mls as he was quoted and where have you bought them recently? I have a friend who is a local there who gets some very cheaply in Sharjah. I suppose you pay a differnt price if you're a tourist.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

I usually buy bakhoor... it is not too overwhelmingly strong and has a nice after smell..

Loads of places in Dubai Mall but I normally purchase them at the shops in near the gold souk in Deira.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,654 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

I would just direct him to Yas Royal House of Pefume they have a branch in most malls and get him to buy something he likes the smell of in there.

Save the serious shopping till your own vist.

I can't remember the name of the one I like but it begins with an N - not much help to you I know. I certainly never buy 20 or 30mils of it though, just 10mils and that costs about 50 dirham

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

Thank you. I'll relay your responses to him and hope it helps him. He's a darling and just wants to please us. SO I'm very thankful..... I don't think I'm too evil...ouch

Is Bakhoor a brand , a shop name or the type of scent ? And is the average bottle type 10 mls , only ? Seems very small???

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,654 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

Bakhoor is the name of a perfume oil BUT Faddy is a bloke so it may not be something that you will appreciate getting.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

Bakhoor is not an oil but rather an incense that releases fragrance when heated up on a charcoal or electric element. It consists of a mixture of oud wood and an blend of perfumes that are in the form of wood chips or shaped in circles of tablets.

Some of the best bakhoors are from Abdul Samad Al Qurashi, Rasasi, Swiss Arabian and Yas. All are present in Mall of Emirates or Dubai Mall. I suggest Maamol Amiri and Tibr Al Oud from ASAQ

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

The Emirati bakhoors are amazing, just avoid the oud based ones. The first time I smelled them was in the lobby of Burj AlArab years ago, apparently they burn the finest and most exclusive.

Yas has some of the best out there, though a bit expensive. Ajmal shop is more affordable and they all let you sample what they have.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Husband shopping in Dubai alone

On business I always travel light for two reasons. Because it is convenient (no checked luggage, light) and because I do not have spare space (good excuse not to go shopping).