We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

Hi, hepl!!! We will be staying at Madinat Dar Al Masyaf 9th May. whilst researching for our trip I have seen various reviews about people being stung by jellyfish. My husband I do like to swim in the sea and it was one of the reasons for choosing this resort as the beach looked so nice. On further research I have also learnt that stingrays might be a problem too as they apparently bury themselves under the sand and could be trod on. Also sea snakes....ahhh wish I hadn't looked!!!

I am now thinking that all the photos that I see where the beach and sea look deserted, it's because, no one dare go in it?

Can anyone give me advice please to reassure me?

Many thanks

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

The photos are probably showing clear beaches because it looks nicer than a beach packed with people. I've never been stung by a jelly fish and have swum in the sea many, many times but I've seen posts on here ocassionally with people saying they've been stung. Never even heard of sea snakes or sting rays in the area - there's not a lot of sea life just off shore in Dubai. I think you are worrying needlessly.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

I have never seen jellyfish in Dubai or sea snakes (perish the thought.) When we were paddling along the edges of the water outside the Burj one year we did have a ray swim over our feet but it was only around 6 inches across and (I assume) not a sting ray. In fact I didn't even notice it until Hubby pointed it out. It didn't put either of us off from continuing the walk along the beach.

If you want jellyfish try south Thailand. The beach was littered with them.

I think you're worrying unnecessarily.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,164 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

I recall as a youngster in Dubai, it was a common sight to see sting rays washed up along the beach near where we lived in Dubai, however since then there has been mass tourism and a large number of hotels being built along the beach have reduced the number of sea life being washed ashore - the beach hotels tend to put netting in the sea to prevent them coming too close and I'd imagine the offshore developments have reduced the numbers of sea life as well.

Jellyfish are still present and this is more so on the beach along the palm - where it's further out to sea and I tend to see a few when I go to Fujairah however I can't imagine there being a major problem along the beach at DAM.

Check with lifeguards on duty when you get there but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,463 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

If there is a big problem with Jellyfish in the sea when you are there (and it does happen on occasion) then the lifeguards will display notices.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

There can be Jellyfish in Dubai. Season is March and April. May is a bit late for them as the water is getting too warm. For details have a look at: ecocoast.com/blog/2013/7/27/jellyfish-along-…

Stingrays and Sea snakes you will only see at the fish market. The same applies to sharks.

The beach will not be deserted, as you will not be alone in Dubai in May.

Please take also into account that the Gulf is different from the Indian Ocean on the East coast of the UAE.

I think you worry for nothing.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

I feel much better about it now. I'm so pleased, it looks like such a nice place and I have been dreaming of visiting for ages.

Thank you to all of you who replied, and for all of the advice and for the website info, much appreciated.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

Hi ,

I can confirm that on our visit to JBH in June 2012 we did indeed see a sting ray in the waters right at the sea front . I can not express how horrified we were as our young children had just been in the water . It surprised me how quickly they can swim ! When it was swimming it was very easy to see .

The life guards were on it immediately though and got rid of it . There was only one and the life guards assured us this was most unusual and that it was most likely safe to enter the water .

We never saw another one that year , the following year or even the years previous . So I'd say they do exist but it's highly unlikely you will see one . So don't worry . The beach outside your hotel is also more choppy than JBH so you should be fine .

You have me worried about Jellyfish though :-( as we go back in September .

Enjoy your holiday x

essex
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

Just back from the JBH and there were Jelly Fish along the beach. There were warning signs along the whole beach. That said we swam in the sea every day along with many others and had no problems. The only time we saw them was when the tide went out a few were washed up on the beach.

9. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 17:58
Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish concern, Jumeirah beach.

Smart-alec !