We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
5 posts
Save Topic
Long layover

We have a 19 hour layover in Dubai. We arrive on Thur at 7:30pm and depart on Fri at 2:30pm. We would like to see Burj Khalifa. Where is a good place to stay? Mid-range hotel. Is it possible to see the Gold Souk or instead see a mall? Appreciate your suggestions and options.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,643 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long layover

There are lots of similar posts if you use the search box above your post and enter keywords.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long layover

Stay at the airport then catch the metro to Burj Khalifa. There is also a mall there. i don't think the Gold Souk is open on a Friday morning and the metro doesn't run till about 1pm

Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long layover

Thanks for the suggestions

Any hotel suggestions for staying near the airport? We would have to leave early in the morn to see Burj Khalifa and then head back to the airport hotel, pick up hand luggage and go to airport. Are taxis easily available in the morning?

Was wondering if there are less expensive options to staying closer to Burj khalifa?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,105 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long layover

The gold souk is open until at least 10pm on Thursday so you could make a quick dash there after checking in to an hotel. If you want to do this then one of the airport hotels such as Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express is your best bet. Not only are they the cheapest they are only 10-15 mins from the gold souk by cab.

On Friday morning you could take a taxi to Dubai Mall, which will be open from 10am and therefore see Burj Khalifa from the lake promenade. You could even go up Burj Khalifa is you want by booking a slot for the observation deck at around 9.30 or 10am.

You will need to be back at the airport for 12.30pm and add on 15 mins to collect your bags from the hotel.

You would need to leave Dubai Mall area by midday and you will find plenty of taxis at any time of day

Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Long layover

Thanks Latimer for all the suggestions. We will probably be rushing to the gold souk and hoping to see the stores.

Instead

I'm looking at the Ramada inn in Downtown close to Burj Khalifa, is it a convenient/safe location to walk at night to see the fountains? Or Raidsson Blue? Or any other similar hotels which is walking distance to the mall?

Thanks for all your help.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 00:51
DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long layover

I think Latimer's plan makes sense given your arrival time. You'll be losing valuable time by traveling from the airport and checking into a downtown hotel, etc. by the time you make it back to Deira to Gold Souq (with Thursday night traffic), most shops will be closed or about to close.

Otherwise, it's perfectly safe to walk in downtown Dubai, day or night. Convenience is a different matter though- if you're visiting during the summer months, walking outside -day or night- can be a challenge because of the heat and humidity.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long layover

How about this: Dash to gold souk and hang in there till 10, move to Dubai Mall to catch the last Fountain Show (11:30) A bit of a rush no doubt, but may be worth a try.

Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long layover

I just checked, our flight arrives at 7:45pm. I'm assuming we should be in the Taxi line by 8:45-9pm. Then go to a hotel close to the airport to check in. Do you think there is time for us to go to the Gold souk that night? Or might be better to have dinner close to the hotel? Thanks for all your helpful suggestions FastTrack. We will actually be there in 3 weeks. So hope the weather is fine. I guess I should get my hotel booking done.

Vasu8, thanks. I'm thinking we might be pushing the Gold Souk. Maybe skip the Souk this time, stay close to the airport and just go early next morn Burj. The hotels near Burj seem high-end. I'm not finding mid-range. Ramada is $250, is that the normal price range? Is it worth staying there, closer?

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long layover

Weather should still be awesome when you get here :-)

I would play it by ear. Check in at a hotel near the airport and, if you can make it to Gold Souq by 10 pm, then it's worth trying. Otherwise, I would suggest going straight to Dubai Mall after checking at your hotel, you should have a good chance of catching one or two of the fountain shows. Malls open till very late here in the UAE as they are major hangout venues, not just shopping. So you should be able to have dinner at one of the many dining outlets at Dubai Mall, Souq Albahar, etc.

Depending on your interest and energy levels, you could hire a cab the next morning (hotel will hold luggage for you) and hit some of the major sights, Burj AlArab, old Dubai etc. It will be Friday morning which means light traffic as people are off work.

Washington
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Long layover

Thank you FastTrack. I like all your suggestions and hope we can do one or the other on the night we arrive. Fingers crossed:)