We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Mall?

London
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which Mall?

Off to Atlantis next Wednesday with a 2.5 year old. We are really just coming for some warm weather and R&R as I'm 7 months pregnant but would like to venture out for one day....was thinking Dubai Mall, have some lunch somewhere fun for the toddler and maybe see the fountains (or are they night time only?) anything else there a restless toddler might enjoy? Or maybe someone could suggest a different mall? Thanks in advance!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Mall?

Dubai Mall is the biggest so if you're into malls you will love it.

It's really worth going in the evening and seeing the fountain after dark, it's nowhere near as impressive in the daylight. There are shows at 1pm, 1.30pm and then every half hour from 6pm (till 11pm Sun-Wed, 11.30pm other nights).

London
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Mall?

Thanks. Maybe we should go down for an early dinner. Is there a family friendly restaurant situated near the fountains? Or better one we can watch them from?!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,059 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Mall?

There are tons of restaurants around the fountain from high end licenced places to places in the mall like TGI Fridays. Not all have great views of the fountain but if you search the forum you'll find recommendations for those that do - I've not eaten in the mall restaurants and tried to watch the fountains, only the restaurants in Souk al Bahar which are more expensive than the mall, depends what you are after.

You could easily have a good, reasonably priced meal in the mall and walk outside to watch a fountain show or two. In between shows you can take a walk around the lake or sit in Burj Park, it will be busy early in the evening - in fact if you go there around 5/6pm you're likely to see lots of young children out playing (accompanied by their nannies) so your little one might find some playmates for a little while.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Mall?

Mall side, amongst the reasonably priced restaurants with terraces facing the fountain are the Social House (eclectic), Vapiano (Italian bistro), More Cafe, as well as a couple others on the same side. My favorite in this category is Social House for its extensive menu, quality food and value.

Medellin
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Mall?

You could easily do both malls and catch a taxi or metro between the two. Beware though, the walk from the Dubai metro stn is a long way even with the travel escalators. In emirates mall there us the ski dubai place with a meet the Penguins tour which was awesome. In Dubai mall we watched the fountains from the Outback restaurant. Main meals from 40 aed (burgers) and then from 55 for chicken / veg.

London
Level Contributor
803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Mall?

There are literally tons of family-friendly restaurants facing the water; I would recommend the Wafi Gourmet in the Dubai Mall (there is one at the bottom of Downtown Address Hotel two mins away but without a view) so you get some excellent local cuisine with your fountain views. It's very well priced too.

I think some of the nicest views however are from the Dubai Mall restaurants' terraces on the first and second floor, facing the fountain. The Japanese Katsuya has a beautiful terrace that overlooks the fountain or Madelaine bistro.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,525 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Mall?

I prefer the Mall of the Emirates. Dubai Mall IMO has lots of space. Everything appears stretched out to walk to. Not much difference is the choice of shops.

south yorkshire
Level Contributor
197 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Mall?

We stayed in Atlantis with our nearly 2.5 year old last year and are staying there again in March. Your LO will love it, there's plenty to do in the resort as it is with the waterpark, aquarium and the lovely zero entry pool.

If you were to venture off to a Mall though I would probably go for Dubai Mall as opposed MoE. My LO and I spent some time there wandering round last year when my husband went up the Burj Khalifa and she is not normally one for shopping centres! We enjoyed spending some time in Hamleys and, of course, watching the fountains just as the sun was setting. From around half an hour before the first show though it got very busy on the promenade so I would get there in plenty of time if you are on ground floor level. Last time we didn't do this but his time we plan to time a meal at TGI Fridays on their balcony area for at least one of the fountain shows.

At the Dubai Mall you also have the big aquarium (if you haven't seen enough at Atlantis!) and also a restaurant called Rainforest Café which if you aren't familiar with it is all supposed to be set in a jungle theme with interactive jungle showers every 10 minutes or so, it kept our LO entertained anyway. There is also something relatively new at DM called Kidzania (I Think). I'm not sure if our LO (also 2.5yrs) will be too small to get the full experience where they get to role play lots of different jobs/everyday things such as bank, supermarket, fireman etc etc, but they do have a toddler play area which I need to look into to see if you can just take them in there.

Hope this helps, sure you'll have a fab time.

London
Level Contributor
404 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Mall?

Thank you all so much, that's incredibly helpful. Very, very excited about our forthComing trip and escaping a very wet England! I think we shall take a trip to dubai mall late afternoon and stay for Early ish dinner.

10. Re: Which Mall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:20