We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Transport

Hi

We are staying at the one and only royal mirage in august, playing golf at the Emirates and the Els club. We have to get our own transport to these clubs. Would a taxi be the best option?

Also does anyone know the distance from our hotel to these clubs?

We are only staying for 4 nights and would also like to swim with the dolphins at Atlantis, is this a good experience?

First time to Dubai.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved!

Thankyou in advance

Jasmine

Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,732 reviews
from US$80.89*
US$89.87
Best Seller
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
222 reviews
from US$48.00*
Best Seller
Burj Khalifa Level 124 'At the Top...
1,416 reviews
from US$38.10*
Helicopter Flight in Dubai
196 reviews
from US$231.08*
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport

Taxi is your only option.

You can either get a local cab, not always easy from O&O as it is set back from the main road, and you are reliant on their being one available or one dropping someone off just before you want a cab or by walking/ taking one of their golf buggies to the main entrance and picking a cab up on the road.

As an alternative the hotel will have cars available and you could use one of them - the fare is usually 20 to 30% more than a local cab.

All of the local cabs have meters so you just pay what it says on the meter.

Emirates is nearer so around 20 minutes by taxi and Els club maybe half an hour but the concierge will advise for sure.

Swimming with captive dolphins is a personal choice - people who have done it will no doubt tell you that they enjoyed it but there are just as many people that would never do it.

Given the choice or the option to make a comment the dolphins would probably vote that it wasn't a good experience for them as they would prefer to be swimming in the ocean they were in when they were captured to be taken to Atlantis.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport

Hi Latimer

Thankyou for your reply, it helps to know how long it takes when arranging tee times.

On the subject of the dolphin swim, i was lucky enough to do this at a research centre in the Florida keys, where they were used to help children with mental or physical problems, it was unbelievable, but i think you are right they belong in the ocean.

Any sugestions what should not be missed? maybe the bus tour as we will give the dolphins a miss.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport

Not sure I would do the bus tour, especially for a short stay, but is useful if you want to see most of Dubai in one day and with commentary.

The buses stop running at 5.30pm so you 24 hour ticket isn't really a whole 24 hours. E.g. If you buy it at 11am on one day then you can use it until 5.30pm on that day and up to 11am on the following day.

It does have some extras like entrance to Dubai Museum but that is only around 3 dirham anyway and if you get off the Big Bus to visit one of the things you want to see you may find that you don't get back on the bus. For me it only has real value if you stay on for a whole circuit to get your bearings and that will take several hours..

You can see around Dubai easily enough using a combination of metro and taxis, which are cheap and because you have such a short trip I would instead focus on one or two things you really want to see and go by cab - which will be cheaper than the Big Bus.

For things not to be missed then my list would definitely have the following on it

1.Burj Khalifa / Dubai Mall and the fountains on the lake in the evening - there are some fabulous restaurants with terrace views of the fountains. The fountains operate every 30 minutes evening between 6pm and 10pm (11pm Thursday and Friday) and each show has different music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DekvHzP1imA

2.A desert safari, which will take up and afternoon and evening or some other desert activity. I would recommend an Heritage Safari dinner with Platinum Heritage.

www.platinum-heritage.com/heritage-collection

There are other companies but the one above has the most authentic experience and a beautiful desert camp for dinner.

3. A walk through the souks and heritage areas by the creek including an abra ride across the creek - best 1 dirham you can spend in Dubai. This topic provides info

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g295424-i872-k66…

There is of course a lot more to see and do but your time is short and golf games will take up the best part of two of your days

Edited: 04 February 2014, 13:41
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport

Hi Latimer

I checked out your sugestions, there is a morning trip to a falconry and wildlife safari it sounds brilliant and at 465AED is reasonable, and booking only 18 hours in advance.

We will also visit the Burg Khalifa and the Dubai mall to see the fountains.

Thankyou so much for your help, i would not have thought of a safari.

Jasmine

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,340 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport

I did the private falcon experience with lunch at Al Maha resort and it was amazing, a really special day out. We got to spend almost two full hours with the birds and learned lots about them. I loved it.

6. Re: Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:18