We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrong dates

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Wrong dates

We have just booked a week in Dubai with a local travel firm and when receiving the paperwork noticed that the had the wrong month. I have contacted them but have been told that the earlier month, which was discussed originally, will cost more than the price quoted. Where do I stand on this. They have agreed that there has been a 'communication' problem. and that I did state the original dates.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,442 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrong dates

It's a difficult one. Your word against theirs. As opposed to loose the holiday altogether and possibly loose money perhaps it would be better to pay the extra or barter at 50/50 bearing in mind that both parties may be at fault.

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrong dates

Not quite, as they have listened to the telephone conversation and said there had been a communication error and I did mention April not May. regarding losing money that can't happen as we havn't cancelled as they havn't supplied as requested and are willing to go ahead as long as they honour their offer. They won't honour their quote but have offered either a full refund or a revised price, £300 more, no room upgrade and only B+B!! How can this be pursued?

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,442 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrong dates

If you accept the full refund can you get the same price if you go elsewhere? I guess that the call was recorded then which obviously works in your favour.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrong dates

Obviously, it's their mistake since the recorded conversation supported your account- in which case, they should bear any financial loss. I see a few options here:

1. Research if there's a viable alternative somewhere else, if yes, then cancel with them and get your full refund. This would be my preference as I wouldn't want to give them any business.

2. Too late to research, prices gone up, etc., --> bite the bullet and go with either one of their two offers.

3. Do either of 1 or 2 and file a complaint with your local consumer rights entity.

4. Take the matter to a small claims court, some folks would be willing to go that extra mile :-)

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wrong dates

Take the money back if you can. And find your own alternative by direct booking.

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wrong dates

When I last spoke to the company I requested a copy of the telephone conversation and also quoted the 'Pursuant to the Package Travel (etc) Regulations 1992 but they still only offered the same package on our original date but at a hefty hike in price. I refused the offer and was told a manger would contact me the next day. I was about to send of a strongly worded e-mail and accept full refund and had sourced an alternative accommodation at a different hotel.company higher than our original, when i received a telephone call from a manger of the company apologising and accepting full responsibly for the cock-up and offered to re-instate our original quote on the dates we wanted. I have had an e-mail outlining the conversation but have yet to receive the new paperwork. Not sure why there was a sudden change but if there hadn't I had full intention to take this further with copies of the transcript to AITA/ATOL/etc.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wrong dates

Glad things are looking up for you!

All the best.

Crowborough, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wrong dates

Thanks for the support. What are the best things to do and see when in Dubai? Bear in mind we are young 60's and we are only there for a week. Do you know our hotel Movenpick Ibn Battuta Gate? Any insight, things to be aware of? Any advise recommendations would be appreciated.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,021 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wrong dates

Your hotel is at the far end of the city next to IBN Battuta mall, which has a metro station.

You can travel around by metro or taxy.

Please take a look at the top questions for Dubai to the right of the posts page for lots of ideas and suggestions; the thing to do guide, the metro guide, the Dubai city guide and many other sections will be useful.

If there are particular things you want to see then we can help with advice on which day is best or how to link things together to get the most of your time

10. Re: Wrong dates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 05:20