We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pregnant before marriage?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
6 posts
Save Topic
Pregnant before marriage?

Hi,

My fiancee and I are due to get married in May and are considering a honeymoon to Dubai in early June. She is currently pregnant and, all being well, will be around 5-6 months in June.

I understand and appreciate that the UAE is a relatively conservative and traditional Islamic area but Dubai has become slightly more relaxed of late.

As our marriage certificate will indicate that we were married in May yet my fiancee will obviously be a lot more than 1 month pregnant and will also have a doctors note in case of any issues, are we likely to run into any trouble for having conceived before marriage even though the conception happened in the UK?

Thanks!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,140 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pregnant before marriage?

No one will see your marriage certificate - not sure why would you think they will ?

You will be married and no one will care, ask or be interested in when you got married. They wouldn't be interested, care or ask even if you weren't married.

I would be more worried about whether she can fly (26 weeks is the limit for most airlines) and ensuring that your travel insurance policy will cover you if any complications arise.

I'd also want to establish if it may be a little too hot and humid to be comfortable

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pregnant before marriage?

No because nobody will know you are newly married unless you tell them. You have no need to show anybody your marriage certificate - hotels don't ask for it, the people working on reception are not natives of Dubai and they don't care about your marital status.

If you choose to tell the hotel that you are on honeymoon (which is a good idea as they tend to provide little extras in those sort of circumstances) then they are still not going to do anything. You have not committed any crime in the UAE.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pregnant before marriage?

No one will care, relax and enjoy your honeymoon :-)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
773 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pregnant before marriage?

The OP need not be concerned as his fiancee will be 5-6 months pregnant. But anyone pregnant at a later stage with a chance of giving early birth should ideally have a marriage certificate, which will be needed in case the baby is born.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pregnant before marriage?

Here in Italy we keep or maiden name and there's nothing on our passport to say if we're married and who to and have never had a problem anywhere including the many times we've been to Dubai.

6. Re: Pregnant before marriage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:21