We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking distance

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
walking distance

Hi everyone

Could someone please tell me if there is anything within walking distance from the o&o royal mirage(the palace) maybe the metro?

Also we are stupid enough to be playing golf (mid sept) i know it's going to be hot! Would it be comparable to Vegas?

Thankyou in advance

Jasmine

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking distance

There is not much within walking distance and it will take you around 10 minutes just to walk through the gardens to the road - they have buggies. Once by the road you have another 15-20 minutes walk to the nearest metro.

You will be getting taxis to wherever you want to go outside the resort because it is too humid to walk that far in September - taxis are cheap in Dubai

It is not comparable to Vegas because that is a dry heat. The humidity in Dubai in September is very high, walking around outside for any length of time is not comfortable so I don't know how you will cope playing golf unless you tee off very early - the golf buggies are air conditioned and you'll need lots of water.

I would wait till you get there and see if you want to play golf

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking distance

Thanks Latimer, that's a big help, i could tell by looking at a map that the hotel is spread over quite a distance, but 10 mins just to get to the road! Unfortunately the golf is already booked, and i've certainly never used a buggy with air con. i might just let him go play on his own!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking distance

As Latimer says, it's the humidity that's the problem, Dubai is much more uncomfortable than Las Vegas because of that.

People who live here play golf all year round so there's no reason why you can't. Just be prepared for possibility the sweatiest round you've ever had.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking distance

I would say people who live in the UAE have more or less adapted to the weather. It can be an entirely different experience for a visitor, especially if coming from cooler climate. I still remember my first summer in the UAE, the heat and humidity seemed quite incredible.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking distance

Hi

Thankyou for your replies, we are playing Emirates & the Els course, both well worth a look at, i might just stay in the buggy!

London
Level Contributor
803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking distance

The nearest place you could walk to from the Royal Mirage, once you leave the premises, is probably the Westin Hotel next door or across the main road in the CNN building in media City (the excellent Circle Café and Urban Bistro). You might also be able to walk to the monorail that runs down the centre of the Palm; it starts at a station built next to the Royal Mirage in the trunk of the Palm.

The heat though might put you off walking the shortest of distances...

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking distance

Hi

Thankyou for your help,can you tell me if the Emirates mall is anywhere near the golf course?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: walking distance

Not far and neither is Dubai Mall.

Excellent plan - I'd be sending him off to play golf in the humidity and heading for the spa, the pool and / or the mall.

You could even offer to share his taxi and he could drop you at the mall on the way to play golf in a sauna.

You could also wave him off and take your own taxi to the mall - taxis are safe and getting one on your own is fine

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking distance

Thanks Latimer, now that sounds like a good idea!!

10. Re: walking distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:19