We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

Hi,

Maybe hard to explain what ok trying to say but here goes...

I've calculated if I select the right flights I can save money by paying for one night less in the hotel.

The flight leaves on the 2nd but arrives on the 3rd at 8am in the morning.

I'd pay for the hotel for the 3rd and 4th.

The flight back is on the 6th but around 01:30am. Therefore I shouldn't need to pay for the hotel on the 5th as we'd be leaving around 22:30 for the airport?

The reason I ask is when I put this holiday through a site like Virgin they charge for 3 nights in the hotel.

Why should I need to pay for a 3rd night when in effect we'd only be sleeping over for 2?

Does this make sense?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

You don't need to book a package, book the flight and hotel separately and you only need to pay for the nights you book. It's not about whether you actually sleep in the room or not, it's about using the room.

If you don't book the first night you may not get into your room till official check in time of 2 or 3pm. If they have a room available you might get in right away but it's the chance you take if you don't book that you might not.

If you don't book the night of 5/6th then you will have to check out of your hotel at around 11am on the 5th, 12 hours or so before you leave for the airport. The hotel can't let you have the room for free until 10.30pm at night but they may allow you a couple of extra hours.

There are hotels with 24 hour check-in but if you want to check in early in the morning your check-out time will be the same however many days later.

Ireland
Level Contributor
146 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

Some package websites will let you select a hotel for part of your trip. I did this when I booked through ebookers as our flight arrives at 9:00am. You tick the box "I only need a hotel for part of my trip". I think Expedia let you do that too.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll look on ebookers and expedia.

I imagine though if I check out on Thurs AM and don't leave for the airport until late late Thurs I image the hotel will store our cases and offer a courtesy room?

Edited: 04 March 2014, 08:08
DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

True, Expedia does allow booking hotels for only part of the trip. However, their system becomes confused if you don't need to book accommodation somewhere in the middle of the trip (staying with a friend, doing a side domestic trip, etc.).

Don't know about a courtesy room, but most hotels in Dubai will happily store your luggage and even allow you to continue to use their facilities (e.g., pool).

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

Hi, this is our situation too. We arrive on 19th August at 16.45 but leave on 27th at 2:50 am. The company allowed us to pay half price to have the apartment till 10pm on the night of the 26th. I chose to pay as they do not have anywhere to store anything and our checkout is 10am! A hotel is probably 12pm and will have somewhere to store your luggage. I too asked this question on here a the consensus was do not pay any extra.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 10:47
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

So will Jumierah Beach Hotel allow us to use the facilities after we have checked out?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,065 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

Yes

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

That's brilliant news.

Saves paying an extra £300 or how ever much it is for an extra night we don't really need!

Should get 2 nights from 2nd to 6th (night flights on these days genes only 2 nights needed) for around 1.2k half board. Good deal?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,887 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

It amazes me that anybody would expect to use a hotel room for up to 12 hours extra for free. Hotels are a business and if you are using the room they can't sell it to somebody else. Housekeeping is not going to clean the room at 11pm so they lose a whole day/night of income.

If somebody can organise their time to maximise time in the room, or use the facilities as long as they want, to suit their arrival/departure times then that's great. But expecting something for nothing doesn't make any sense from the hotel's point of view.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to maximise hotel value for money?

That's brilliant news.

Saves paying an extra £300 or how ever much it is for an extra night we don't really need!

Should get 2 nights from 2nd to 6th (night flights on these days hence only 2 nights needed) for around 1.2k half board. Good deal?