We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Dubai pregnant out of wedlock

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Dubai pregnant out of wedlock

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. I am expecting a baby in early July with my partner of 6 years. We are not married.

We are due to travel to Dubai in two weeks on holiday at which point I will be 25 weeks pregnant turning 26 just before we leave. I have read alot online about how pregnancy out of marriage is illegal in the UAE and wondered if anyone could shed any light on how this would affect me were I to end up in hospital or give birth (very early!) during my trip. Is it risky business?

Thanks in advance for any replies x

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Dubai pregnant out of wedlock

There's no need to tell anyone you're not married. Lots of females keep their maiden names anyway, so there will be no connection from this.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Dubai pregnant out of wedlock

I know, just worried about what implications there would be god forbid I did end up in hospital x

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Dubai pregnant out of wedlock

True, no one will ask or care and it will be assumed that you are married.

To answer your question- if you go into premature labor and end up at the hospital, it's very likely that they will ask you to provide paperwork. At this point, it can be risky business.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Dubai pregnant out of wedlock

The picture is inconsistent for tourists, but as the second link states, you don't want to test it.

dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGuide/DispForm.aspx…

www.dubaifaqs.com/pregnant-in-dubai.php

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Dubai pregnant out of wedlock

Being pregnant will not cause an issue - people will assume you are married and will refer to you as Mr First Name and Mrs First Name.

Giving birth will be an issue as you'll have to produce a marriage certificate at the hospital

This is going to be a matter for you to decide if the 'risk' is worth taking v the cost of cancelling a holiday you've already booked in case you give birth whilst there.

I'm not sure how you would deal with this cancellation with a travel agent and how you would stand with a refund or change of plans.

As a non resident UK citizen there on holiday it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you and your baby will end up in jail as you were pregnant before you arrived in Dubai and from a country where your actions are not illegal. But technically you will have broken the law by having a baby conceived outside marriage and therefore could face arrest and may face deportation.

A relative of mine lived in Dubai with her partner and when she got pregnant they came back to UK to get married so that she could have her baby in Dubai 6 months later

Edited: 08 March 2014, 17:35
6. Re: Travelling to Dubai pregnant out of wedlock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 06:19