We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

Joburg, South Africa
Level Contributor
228 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

I'm just wondering if I'll be ok wearing a loose-fitting but sleeveless (bare shoulders, but not tight-fitting or low cut) T-shirt and knee-length leggings in a five-start hotel gym in Dubai? What about Sharjah?

Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,733 reviews
from US$80.89*
US$89.87
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
224 reviews
from US$48.00*
Burj Khalifa Level 124 'At the Top...
1,417 reviews
from US$38.10*
Helicopter Flight in Dubai
198 reviews
from US$231.08*
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,378 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

In Dubai then not necessarily an issue, depends on the 5* hotel

Sharjah ? Dress code is much stricter in Sharjah.

Are you asking because you are staying in both places or trying to choose where to stay ?

I wouldn't stay in Sharjah unless I had to.

Joburg, South Africa
Level Contributor
228 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

Not sure yet exactly where I'm staying. Going for Indian Premier League cricket and they'll be using grounds in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Sharjah. The company I'm working for hasn't yet clarified all those details (well, they can't, since the actual match schedule hasn't been released yet). We may just stay in Dubai regardless, or they may put us in hotels in Abu Dhabi and/or Sharjah for matches happening there. Don't know yet. But I have to pack now since I'm traveling elsewhere before getting to the UAE.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

Cricket commentators and players all stay in Dubai.. Very few stay im Sharjah.. If you stay in dubai youll be fine wearing the clothes you mention!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,348 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

You'll be fine wearing what you describe in Dubai, I wear normal gym clothes in the gym (lycra shorts/vest). In Sharjah I would probably wearing a t-shirt rather than a sleeveless top but I'm not speaking from experience.

Bansko, Bulgaria
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah, Bansko
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

You will be fine in a Sharjah hotel gym wearing a sleeveless top and knee length leggings, I go to a mixed gym wearing lycra shorts to the knee. You're there to work out and will want to be in comfortable gear.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

True, Dubai is more liberal than all of the other 6 emirates, but Sharjah isn't Saudi Arabia.

One doesn't need to strategize above and beyond- common sense applied in Dubai will work in Sharjah too.

7. Re: Dress code for western woman in five-star hotel gym

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:15