We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skywards?

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Skywards?

I am a bit confused by the system of upgrading using miles, thanks for any future help and here's the problem.

I am a silver holder with 33000 miles. I am planning to fly return out to BKK in business class and wish to upgrade to 1st on one of the legs. If I need to purchase a few extra miles that's cool but the Skywards website is not giving me the info.

Has anyone got the info or done this before?

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skywards?

You should be able to upgrade using your miles if there are 1st class seats available on that flight, and if the seats/date aren't blocked for revenue passengers only. Emirates sometimes blocks mileage purchases and/or upgrades during peak travel dates, which can be irritating when you have miles but can't use them when you need them the most. I get it though, airlines have to take some customer-unfriendly measures in order to survive.

When I want to use miles, I often call to talk to a Skywards rep because it can be a bit complicated. There are different grades of booking within the same class (makes no sense at all!), also flexible vs fixed, etc. each will impact how many miles you redeem. It is to your advantage to know your options before spending those hard-earned miles.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,816 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skywards?

You might be better off posting direct on the air forum. Link below.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skywards?

You have basically two options. Book your ticket and once you have your ticket try to upgrade on the website under manage a booking.

The other is to book via the Emirates customer service line and then do one booking and one leg upgrade directly in one go. They can also advise if some dates on which upgrades are available or not.

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Skywards?

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have a UK tel no for Emirates/Skywards that is not an 0844 number?

I hate paying over the odds to speak to a company that I am going to pay money to. It seems tight fisted of them to charge thousands of £'s for the flight then want a few quid extra just to have a conversation to confirm the details.

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skywards?

Thanks Daisy, you answered it on t'other forum.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 14:00
6. Re: Skywards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:16